Lt 1045

Bowtx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a three year old LT 1045 with the Kohler 20 hp, It ran great the first year. Bought the little tune up kit and tuned it, drained gas, Maintained it in the winter. The next year ran great for about a month. started reving up and then almost dying, over and over until it began to backfire and stalled. would not restart until it cooled down. Thought maybe water in gas -no, unfortunately we had a drought that Year and I did not need it any more. This year I asked for help and got many suggestions, did them all. drained a cleaned the fuel system, replaced fuel filter, replaced all carburetor gaskets, replaced carburetor solenoid, replaced ignition and wire, replaced with new gaped plug, changed oil and filter. Ran great until it gets hot, about 1 hour then revs up and down and almost stalls over and over then begins to backfire and sputter and dies. It seems I spend more time working on than cutting with. About to stick an axe in it and leave it in the woods. Any suggestions?

Bowtx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Come on yall, 46 views and nobody can help? The axe countdown has started.

Bowtx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Come on yall, 46 views and nobody can help? The axe countdown has started.

Okay 86 views and no any ideas. I have come to the realization that the Kohler engine is a piece of garbage. I remember having one about 10 years ago and it was a piece of garbage. Got on it this morning ran perfect for 30 minutes then surges backfire etc... I could have bought 70 reel mowers for that much money and pulled then behind a 4 wheeler. Cub Cadet sucks!!!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a three year old LT 1045 with the Kohler 20 hp, It ran great the first year. Bought the little tune up kit and tuned it, drained gas, Maintained it in the winter. The next year ran great for about a month. started reving up and then almost dying, over and over until it began to backfire and stalled. would not restart until it cooled down. Thought maybe water in gas -no, unfortunately we had a drought that Year and I did not need it any more. This year I asked for help and got many suggestions, did them all. drained a cleaned the fuel system, replaced fuel filter, replaced all carburetor gaskets, replaced carburetor solenoid, replaced ignition and wire, replaced with new gaped plug, changed oil and filter. Ran great until it gets hot, about 1 hour then revs up and down and almost stalls over and over then begins to backfire and sputter and dies. It seems I spend more time working on than cutting with. About to stick an axe in it and leave it in the woods. Any suggestions?

You say you replaced the ignition was that the switch or the coil? Have you adjusted the valves?

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you clean the carb while you had it off?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last time it was running good did you hit something like a rock or a stump or big ant hill that would put a shock on the engine

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can't believe with all the I know everything guys on here that none of them have helped you.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Okay 86 views and no any ideas. I have come to the realization that the Kohler engine is a piece of garbage. I remember having one about 10 years ago and it was a piece of garbage. Got on it this morning ran perfect for 30 minutes then surges backfire etc... I could have bought 70 reel mowers for that much money and pulled then behind a 4 wheeler. Cub Cadet sucks!!!!

Ok first off Cub Cadets Don't suck and Kohler engines are not garbage. Next your list contains everything you've done except checking the exhaust system and arrestor, have you done that?

Last edited:

fireman9513

Threads
You probably have trash in your fuel tank and it is restricting fuel flow as the fuel line connects at the bottom of the tank.
I had the same problem and that's what it was on mine .

goran

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the exact same problem with this mower, mine was bought new in 2010 and worked great for the first year... when you start the mower it works great, after about 45 minutes when it heats up it starts to sputter and backfire. I have check the carb, filter etc... this is ridiculous that a mower this new is experiencing this strange problem. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it because at this point I just want to get ride of it.

I cannot understand for a million years why a new kohler would do this. My fathers cub cadet (late 60's) w/7 hp kohler worked great, this one is junk.