LT 1018 Pulley stuck on motors shaft

Chris_feldk

Threads
Motor blew up. Have to take engine apart but my drive pulley will not come off the motors shaf. i heated it up for 10-15 minutes with a blow torch and I'm using a puller and no luck. Also using lube. i am bending the pulley but at this point i dont care i can buy i new one. any tips or help would be appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need to be using a bearing separator puller, strong impact, and lots of heat. And yes are really stuck on there at times. I usually destroy every one of the stuck on ones. Just make sure you are using a sacrifical spacer on your puller to crankshaft point. This way you don't mess up the crankshaft.

They are called shaft protectors.
1692491802016.png

Last edited:

Bertrrr

Threads
If the motor blew up and is shot , the pully ruined why pull it off anyway ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Because on some mowers it is the only way to remove the engine. I had to destroy the pulley on several CC ZTRs just so I could replace the PTO side oil seals. Here if the images are correct it is not necessary but the OP appears to want to see if the engine is repairable but can't access the internals until the pulley is off.

1692530370480.png

Chris_feldk

Threads
thanks for the idea that puller worked great. Destroyed the pulley though. took apart the motor. was just hoping to put a new connecting rod in but, when the rod exploded it bent the camshaft and cracked the part where camshaft seats on the block. So at this point the motor is not worth fixing because now id need a block too. it be more worth to buy a used motor. this mower only has 300 hrs on it so id hate to get rid of it. it has no rust too. Does anyone have a motor i could buy?

mark abby

Threads
be sure to remove the carb and controls, any electrical parts, starter and any other parts you might use later. I also remove bolts from the motors so i have spare metric ones just in case. lol