Lower drive belt something not right

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't really know with that mower.
The front drag link will change the pitch which will change the cutting height but you should have the Cub Cadet quick hitch but worked by a cable , not threaded lift rods.
Somewhere hidden around the rear of the mower , under the seat there should be an adjuster but I think it only adjusts one side for the purpose of leveling the deck.

durkinnj

Threads
How do I tell if it’s the belt or the tensioner? The upper deck belt is slapping around and I believe that is what is causing the deck to rattle like mad. The blades are brand new and torqued to spec so I don’t think it’s an imbalance issue unless there is a certain direction you are supposed to face the blades when you put them on. I just put them any which way except obviously the grass side down.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You probably got a belt that has a burned place in it or the idler pulley has a bearing that is failing. What I mean by burned place is where belt got heavy worn when the deck was jammed causing to narrower in a place. Also can one of two driven pulleys damaged.

Last edited:

durkinnj

Threads
Ok I will inspect the belt bearings and pulleys. Didn’t notice anything when working with it but I didn’t fully inspect it.

durkinnj

Threads
I can’t find anything wrong with the belts or anything. Not sure what to do. Might have to just replace the deck belts and see if that fixes it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you 100% sure that the belts are routed correctly and the springs that tension the belt are in the right place ?
Where did you get the belts from ?
What was the numbers on the belt sleeve ?

durkinnj

Threads
The deck belts came with the mower they do not have numbers on them but yes everything is routed and attached correctly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The deck belts came with the mower they do not have numbers on them but yes everything is routed and attached correctly.
Of course there will be no numbers on the used belts. The only used belts I have ever seen numbers on are older Murray where they were embossed into the belts.

The only way to know if the belts are the correct ones is to measure them and compare them the OEM specs which many now try to keep secret. But are us that have belt measuring tools that record the lengths of new OEM belts when we buy them.

Here I now measure every belt I get except those that are over 165" and by this summer I can even do the ones up to 200". That how I found that over 90% of my after market were all shorter than the size on the sleeves (paper box). I even throw out a $1000 in belt last year along with the vendor. Then the vendor said they had resolved the problem with the belt so I tried them last month. Guess what they still sent me two belt that were an inch short.

durkinnj

Threads
Ok so I put 2 new deck belts on. The new upper deck seems actually more loose than the old one. The problem is still the same. I uploaded a couple of videos. It is very loud.

durkinnj

Threads
Ok so I put 2 new deck belts on. The new upper deck seems actually more loose than the old one. The problem is still the same. I uploaded a couple of videos. It is very loud.

Also when you first fire it up, it doesn’t make this sound. It’s only after you start to mow that causes to to start going crazy. I’ll have to get that on video. Makes no sense. But then after that it will do it no matter what.