love my Stihl equipment. . .

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok, everyone keeps mentioning this Honda HRX. keep coming back to it. Yes I'm buying new. Ric, you have been so helpful. I really appreciate u taking the time.

Well the reason I mentioned the HRX was because I think it's a lot better mower than the Snapper. Now this may sound weird but I've based my purchase decisions in this way, I learned a long time ago when riding bicycles if you wanted to know what the best equipment was on the market in the way of bicycles the thing to do is to see what the professional riders and their organizations competing in the TDF were were using because they had the best equipment money could buy so that was what you bought or tried to buy. So why not do the same for lawn care equipment, only makes sense. Take a look at some different lawn care businesses in your area, see what there running, ask some questions. Personally I think Honda is probably the top mower on the market and Toro is right beside it and with Toro starting to use the Kawasaki engines Honda may start lagging behind.

Bomba

Threads
Well the reason I mentioned the HRX was because I think it's a lot better mower than the Snapper. Now this may sound weird but I've based my purchase decisions in this way, I learned a long time ago when riding bicycles if you wanted to know what the best equipment was on the market in the way of bicycles the thing to do is to see what the professional riders and their organizations competing in the TDF were were using because they had the best equipment money could buy so that was what you bought or tried to buy. So why not do the same for lawn care equipment, only makes sense. Take a look at some different lawn care businesses in your area, see what there running, ask some questions. Personally I think Honda is probably the top mower on the market and Toro is right beside it and with Toro starting to use the Kawasaki engines Honda may start lagging behind.

I read somewhere that Toro owns the exmark company, which surprised me. Back to Stihl, I have a Stihl blower and chainsaw. I gotta say that the Stihl and Exmark customer support teams have been excellent. Makes me never want to buy from a big box store again.

Bomba

Threads

Yes Ric, that's why I bought an Exmark. The local pro landscapers all used them and highly recommended their ZTRs.

Threads
I read somewhere that Toro owns the exmark company, which surprised me.

That's correct. This is what Ric said in post #12 in the following thread: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/mower-buying-pricing/13364-zero-turn-info-2.html

"OK If the Dixie chopper dealer also has Toro and Exmark and you're looking at them Buy the Toro. The reason I say that is that Toro owns and makes the Exmark mowers and they're basically the same mower and the Toro is generally speaking price wise some what cheaper than the Exmark.
Example if you look at the Toro Grandstand and compare it to the Exmark Vantage they will be the same mower except for the deck.
Toro uses there Turbo Force deck and Exmark Uses the own deck and some of the exmark will have black paint."

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes Ric, that's why I bought an Exmark. The local pro landscapers all used them and highly recommended their ZTRs.

If you purchased the Exmark you got a good one. The Exmark is a great machine, the guys that do most of the commercial work here in the area use the Exmark. Most of the guys that are mowing or doing residential work are using the smaller Exmarks or the Toro mowers like the Z Master 5 or 6000 units and there are those who prefer the Grandstand :smile:. My next ZTR is going to be a Z Master 5000.

Exmark fan

Threads
2strokes are being replaced because they are dirty engines. In the eyes of the EPA. Stihl can have some dirty engines but they have to have so many more clean (4mix) engines. All the 2 strokes won't go away this year. It will take a little while. And Stihl is the leader in this category. Every other company will follow suit after a while

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
2strokes are being replaced because they are dirty engines. In the eyes of the EPA. Stihl can have some dirty engines but they have to have so many more clean (4mix) engines. All the 2 strokes won't go away this year. It will take a little while. And Stihl is the leader in this category. Every other company will follow suit after a while

But Stihl dont always make their own engines.

If you strip down certain engines on a Stihl product they use different engine manufacturers.
1 name is Tecomec (Italian company owned by Emak who make Efco or Oleo-mac product) who produce 2 stroke engines for different manufacturers.
Another is a German company called Mal. Stihl like to buy off of German companys.
Basically OEM's buy a product line for a certain time and the engine manufacturer cannot give that line to any other OEM. The change in line up could be as simple as a different carb (Zama for Stihl and Walbro for others)
Another OEM buys another line with the same engine and again a different carb and so on.
Lots of OEM are using the same engine but set up differently.

Stihl were always good at making Chainsaws but struggled on the engine side.