Lost reverse and stuck in gears

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check with mower salvage yards. I installed a good used one in a JD180 ,paid 150 for it.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ACCORDING TO THAT DIAGRAM..IT LOOKS LIKE YOURS TAKES GEAR OIL...IF THATS TRUE ..DRAIN IT AND SEE IF ANYTHING IS IN THE OIL FIRST..THEN WE CAN GO FROM THERE:smile:

brotherpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
ACCORDING TO THAT DIAGRAM..IT LOOKS LIKE YOURS TAKES GEAR OIL...IF THATS TRUE ..DRAIN IT AND SEE IF ANYTHING IS IN THE OIL FIRST..THEN WE CAN GO FROM THERE:smile:

Got it handled on the oil change. It'll be this coming Tuesday before I can do it :frown: It's always something. I will diffidently be getting back to you. I also would like to say Thank you for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
one last thing we haven't touched on ..is the belt....if your clutch pulley arm isnt moving all the way..it could cause this...put clutch in and set park....check to see if you can turn the trans pulley without the belt holding it...[ you should jack up the rear so the tires are off the ground and its in neutral ] try this before the oil..:thumbsup:.............heres a picture of the trans pulley with hitch plate removed

Attachments

• IMG_0739[1].jpg
    IMG_0739[1].jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 17

brotherpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
one last thing we haven't touched on ..is the belt....if your clutch pulley arm isnt moving all the way..it could cause this...put clutch in and set park....check to see if you can turn the trans pulley without the belt holding it...[ you should jack up the rear so the tires are off the ground and its in neutral ] try this before the oil..:thumbsup:.............heres a picture of the trans pulley with hitch plate removed

Got it. I am hoping this is just something loose that I can tighten down. The wife is a tad upset because the lawn now has become The Hay Field. I keep reminding her the old push mower is on 21 inches wide.:laughing: Just kidding I borrowed the neighbors, he uses a commercial grade 72 inch monster. Again Thank you very much for all your help.:smile:

yoyoboy96

Threads
Something definately is bent or clogging the gears. forcing it could cause more damage if it's something inside the tranny. I heard it from someone that the lower end husqvanas had bad gear trannys, and I'm pretty sure Husqvana makes poulans and craftsmans now.
I would suggest looking on poulans site for a transmition diagram, and if you can't find it there you may be able to find something on craftsmans website.

brotherpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Something definately is bent or clogging the gears. forcing it could cause more damage if it's something inside the tranny. I heard it from someone that the lower end husqvanas had bad gear trannys, and I'm pretty sure Husqvana makes poulans and craftsmans now.
I would suggest looking on poulans site for a transmition diagram, and if you can't find it there you may be able to find something on craftsmans website.

I want to thank you for your help with helping me solve the riddle of my mower staying gear..Thank you
Now to date this is what I have been up to. I've been over at the Sears Parts web site and they some great parts lists, exploded view and everything. However I never did find my tranny. Found some close but not exactly what I wanted. I didn't know about Husqvana making the tranny's for Poulan's. I finally got the gears unstuck but it will only shift going up into them. Diffidently no down shifting unless one comes to a complete stop and gets the pry bar out and rocks the mower back and forth.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
Husqvarna makes Craftsman and Poulan now......in my experience ....the chain breaks on reverse problems....give us the tranny numbers and well see what we can do....many lawn repair shops will sale a used tranny for $100:thumbsup: ................i think this is it.......http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...or-accessory-Parts/Model-206545C/0796/1510000........one thing you can do from the outside is check the pulley...with the belt loose.... try and move the pulley side to side and front to back and check for slop.....it should only move up and down about a 1/16th of an inch..anything more and you have trouble.........also..if this is your tranny...it doesnt have a chain....but has oil...which can be changed and thats another option

brotherpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Somehow I found reverse and neutral and when I did, I tightened all the bolts up. Gave it a test run and lost both reverse and neutral again. The pulley is tight and slop in it. It doesn't use a chain so now I'm heading out to try changing the oil. I'm willing to try a few more things to get it running as before, however I can envision myself buying a good used transmission and slapping it on there. If for no other reason then reduction of my frustration. :confused2: I'll let you know how things go.

p.s. A friend suggested I get a transmission out of the salvage yard for $15.00. He mentioned that if only lasts one season that it would be worth it. Then I can repair the original transmission while the mower is running like it should. :smile:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
a used one will work and then you get the old one apart on the bench at your leisure...there are probably several models that will fit.....i would take your old one out when you got o get a new used for comparison.....the main things are axle mount holes....the front bracket holes...the brake lever and the shift linkage......good luck!....tell us how it goes:smile: