loose steering wheel

Fireman71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Purchased John Deere 240 mower and steering wheel has a lot of play witle mowing. Is ther any adjstment on steering box. U-joint and rod ends do not appear that bad

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum. I'm sorry to hear about your issue. I moved your thread to the John Deere forum. Members there may have some experience with this and be able to help you out.

Best of luck!

rfl

Threads
Ok, for what it is worth. I don't know a thing about J.D. but here is what I have experienced with other mowers in the past. If it is not in your drag links or similar front in parts, look at the axle where it is mounted to the frame. If it has a free floating front like my Craftsman had, the axle will set in a channel and be mounted by one bolt a little off center. when the weight of the mower is on this attachment point it is hard to see. What would happen to my mower would be the axle would actually bend the channel and would no longer be held tight (front to rear) so the axle would have all kinds of movement that translated to the steering as well. I would have to drop the axle to get to it with a sledge hammer and beat it back into submission where it would work alright for a while and after going through the ditch a bunch, it would need another attitude adjustment. This might not have anything to do with your problem but I know I replaced almost every part on that old mower and it was still loose until I discovered that problem. Hope this helps but might be way off the mark. Good Luck! One other thing, there is a bearing on the steering shaft that you could only see looking inside the hood. That bearing was totally trashed and I replace that and the gear on the end of the shaft. Once again, good luck!

scott47429

Threads
i don't know anything about JD either but on my Wheel Horse the drag link was connected to the steering gear box with a bolt i pulled the bolt out and it was worn about half way through put in a new one and solved the problem good luck

PJ

Threads
Purchased John Deere 240 mower and steering wheel has a lot of play witle mowing. Is ther any adjstment on steering box. U-joint and rod ends do not appear that bad

Hi Fireman
Normaly there is no adjustment on the steering itself you might have on the wheel alignment. I suggest look at the steering geer at the bottom while someone helps to move the steering wheel left to right this should give you a good indication where your problem is

Regards
PJ

Fireman71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the help guys. What I did find is there is actually a steering "gearbox" on this unit similar to an automobile. It also does have adjuster on side of box that can be adjusted to take slack out of wormgear inside. Did this and actually took about 80% of ths slop out of steering. But I have also noticed that the front axle actually moves (foward and backward) somewhat when steering wheel is turned. I suspect the pivot pin (that actually hangs axle to frame) has the bushings worn. This may be a winter project. Anyone ever replaced these bushings. Again thanks for the help