Looks like oil in cylinder

Good n Dusty

Threads
Finally back! I picked up the head gasket this morning and put it in and adjusted the valves and put it back together and still will not start. I tried everything I could think of to get it to run and there is not a pop or a kick or anything. I checked the compression and have about 140lbs. The fire is good and bright. New plug or old one. I even put a little gas in the intake and still nothing. I checked the valve lifter clearance again and tried again. I did notice a couple of things as I was trouble shooting. One is that there is a little blow back through the intake. The second is when I rotate the engine I notice that the valve lifter actually goes down a tiny bit (opens the valve) on the up stroke and then closes the valve all the way. This is about 3/4 way up to fire. Any hope for it?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you want to adjust the valves again I can tell you a very easy way of doing it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the valve cover off and remove spark plug turn the engine >>>counterclockwise <<<< two or more times Untill one valve is open all the way ( pushed in as far as it will go ) then adjust the other one to spec. Repeat for the other one.

This way will give you the same results as trying to find 1/4 past TDC and takes half the time.

Just remember to turn the engine counterclockwise.

Good n Dusty

Threads
Back from the weekend. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to what I can do to get it started? If I could pull it I would try that but I can't for obvious reasons.

gregjo1948

Threads
Finally back! I picked up the head gasket this morning and put it in and adjusted the valves and put it back together and still will not start. I tried everything I could think of to get it to run and there is not a pop or a kick or anything. I checked the compression and have about 140lbs. The fire is good and bright. New plug or old one. I even put a little gas in the intake and still nothing. I checked the valve lifter clearance again and tried again. I did notice a couple of things as I was trouble shooting. One is that there is a little blow back through the intake. The second is when I rotate the engine I notice that the valve lifter actually goes down a tiny bit (opens the valve) on the up stroke and then closes the valve all the way. This is about 3/4 way up to fire. Any hope for it?

What you're probably seeing is the compression release that is built into the engine. If you have spark, fuel, and compression it should run unless the timing sequence is off. Have you checked the flywheel key to see if it is sheared? gregjo1948

Good n Dusty

Threads
What you're probably seeing is the compression release that is built into the engine. If you have spark, fuel, and compression it should run unless the timing sequence is off. Have you checked the flywheel key to see if it is sheared? gregjo1948

No, I have not tried that. I cleaned the rust off the flywheel and magnet area but didn't think that would have happened. I will have to try that but not today because I have a long day of hard work ahead and the day is short. I will post when I get that done. I should have checked that when it was apart having not been able to start it before. Thanks Greg!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the valve cover off and remove spark plug turn the engine >>>counterclockwise <<<< two or more times Untill one valve is open all the way ( pushed in as far as it will go ) then adjust the other one to spec. Repeat for the other one.

This way will give you the same results as trying to find 1/4 past TDC and takes half the time.

Just remember to turn the engine counterclockwise.

I would have to say this is not a good idea!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, I have not tried that. I cleaned the rust off the flywheel and magnet area but didn't think that would have happened. I will have to try that but not today because I have a long day of hard work ahead and the day is short. I will post when I get that done. I should have checked that when it was apart having not been able to start it before. Thanks Greg!

The oil problem was likely the head gasket, why it won't start is another one altogether. This has been a long and convoluted thread full of bad advice. When was the last time the engine ran and smoked badly??? Detail the next several steps...

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the valve cover off and remove spark plug turn the engine >>>counterclockwise <<<< two or more times Untill one valve is open all the way ( pushed in as far as it will go ) then adjust the other one to spec. Repeat for the other one. This way will give you the same results as trying to find 1/4 past TDC and takes half the time. Just remember to turn the engine counterclockwise.

People have been adjusting valves like this for years and years.

There is a thread on here about it.

Myself and 100s of others have been doing this for years. This is the only way I adjust valves for the past 25 years. I have engines with over 2000 hours on them so I must be doing something right.