Locked up engine!

riseandrun

Threads
Greetings everyone! And thank you to our Military Veterans on Memorial Day.
I pick up an old (1995) Snapper LT140H38ABV from a friend at work yesterday. Another friend had worked on it earlier this month and he "tuned" it up for her. He overfilled the oil. 56 oz. I know because I measured it after draining it. He also told her that he didn't put in 30 wt if I understand her correctly. After his oil change she got about half way through the yard and it locked up.
Fast forward. I took the belts off the mower, removed the top cover and it actually broke free pretty easy. I did it with my bare hands. I'm not a muscle bound individual. I mention bare hands as opposed to putting a breaker bar on it and spinning it.
I've cleaned and regapped a filthy plug, put in 48 oz of new 30 wt. and turned the engine over a few seconds and cleaned out the cylinder. Anything else I'm forgetting before I install plug and put gas to her?
Thanks guys! Great forum.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the old "oil" for the presence of gas/fuel, if so, pull the engine down and find out where the engine seized. Post the engine numbers too.

riseandrun

Threads
Good idea on checking for gas smell. I had my son sniff and he says yes. I originally thought no. After smelling regular oil, then straight gas, I've changed my mind.
Would I be hurting anything to just try and start it? I'd just like to hear it purr....
Here's the numbers you asked for:
Model: 287707
Type: 0228 01
Code: 9410034B
Thanks for the quick reply Fish.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it truly seized, it likely bent a rod which bent and loosened the mounting bolts, which will loosen more and start "knocking".

The prudent move would be to pull the engine down now and replace the damaged parts, while the repair would be cheap, if you run it, the repair will get exponentially more expensive, and likely not realistic to try to repair....

riseandrun

Threads
Excellent response! All I need to know is how to tear the engine apart. Really I haven't taken a small engine apart since Jr. year of high school 40 years ago in a shop class. :smile: I don't remember it being that difficult, but I also don't remember if what we did got tested by starting the engine.:laughing:
I'll check youtube. Fish, thanks again for all your help. It makes sense not to do anything else. I'm not afraid to buy some tools if I need to, it's an excuse to pay the money for the tools as opposed to paying someone to do the work. I win out in the end with the extra tools.
What about doing a compression check? Would that tell me anything? I heard from our mutal friend that he put 10W30 in the motor if that adds anything to the discussion.
Kevin

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
10W30 won't hurt it any. i suspect that the carb leaked fuel, got into the crankcase, and when running pushed the oil/fuel mix into the carb, and back into the cylinder were it hydrolocked the engine. Possible damage could be any where from damaged/bent rod to no major damage.

Let me go back and discuss this some more. Was the engine running when it locked up, or just wouldn't turn over the next time it was going to be used. If it locked while running, then you will have damage. If it just locked up while setting, then I suspect other than cleaning the carb, and changing the oil, you will be fine.

riseandrun

Threads
Yes it was running when it locked up. My friend was half way through cutting her lawn and it just stopped. She couldn't get anything when she tried to restart it just a "Hum" (Starter not turning?)
When I stopped after work the next day I guesstimated the lock up since I couldn't even budge the air screen at the top of the engine.
I'm looking forward to taking it apart. I enjoy working on engines and I have no time crunch to get it done. I'll search the forum and see if there are parts suppliers on here.
Thanks again for the help. When I get into it I'll start posting a few pictures for guidance.
Kevin