Liquid dynomite.

dfbroxy

Threads
Liquid dynomite is my new name for starter fluid or brake cleaner spray. Im a backyard mower mechanic and work on friends and family+ riding mowers. I do this for a profit but less than repair shop cost. This year so far I have replaced double head gaskets on 6 mowers already. Each time I tell them and everyone I know not to spray liquid dynomite into carbs to start but noone pays any attention untill it happens to them. A little gas in carb works just as well and wont blow a gasket. If this doesnt work then something is wrong anyway. Soo thats my little rant for today. Hope there is at least one person out there that this helps.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a mower from a guy that told me it got water in it and froze and busted the head on it. The head was cracked you could see it. I took the head off and the cylinder and head was clean no rust from water getting in and freezing and busting the head. The next time I saw him I ask him how much starting fluid he sprayed in the engine he said I didn't spray much in it. Not much just enough to bust the head. That is why I tell people to never ever spray starting fluid in a small engine. I use gum out carb cleaner. Works and will not blow the head off the mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF you could trust people then propane gas is the best thing to use to start a petrol engine
But considering what comes through the front gate I would be lothed to suggest it.
At the BSA factory new engines were "hot run tested " and this consisted of putting am air propane hose over the carb bell mouth and firing up the dry engine for a few seconds
Stats OK to fit in frame , did not start then off to mechanical rectification

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I hate to say this but homeowners are drowning when it comes to their knowledge of small engines or the fact any engine.

1656506016724.png

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have used probably a few dozen cans of starting fluid over the years in the shop. Never had a problem or broke or blew up anything. I did remove all the hair on my right arm once trying to seat a tire bead. That prompred the purchase of an air blast bead seater.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
most starting fluids are ether. It is highly explosive - meaning it doesn't burn, it explodes. You do not want to use much in a gasoline engine or it can ruin things.

4getgto

Threads
Put anything flammable in a air tight container and will explode. Not so much in the open...
And I've also used starter fluid many times with no bad issues. Though I never tried shooting a whole can in and see what's happens..🤕

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use that cheap carb cleaner from Walmart. ??? Tech. Never had an issue. I honestly don't spray a lot, unless I'm trying to keep something running.