Limited slip question

handirifle

Threads
Actually Husqvarna makes several models with a locking diff, not the big box store models, the models you get from a dealer. Their web site, AND brochures say it is pedal actuated, but when I, nor the dealer could find an extra pedal, the factory was called. It's an electronic lock-up they say. When it senses wheel spin it auto locks itself. Not sure I see the need for all that, since my Massey Furgeson tractor has a simple pedal to push. But the point was they DO make them, and I believe they are starting about $2,100.

I am just thinking about something to make my old Murray, work better for me, while it's still running. Not going to buy a new one till I absolutely have to.

Black Bart
Where are the rear brake hubs located on your JD? If you have a pic it would really help. I'm kinda thinking about something like the band that wraps around a drum, like the one on my go kart.

Black Bart

Threads
Actually Husqvarna makes several models with a locking diff, not the big box store models, the models you get from a dealer. Their web site, AND brochures say it is pedal actuated, but when I, nor the dealer could find an extra pedal, the factory was called. It's an electronic lock-up they say. When it senses wheel spin it auto locks itself. Not sure I see the need for all that, since my Massey Furgeson tractor has a simple pedal to push. But the point was they DO make them, and I believe they are starting about $2,100.

I am just thinking about something to make my old Murray, work better for me, while it's still running. Not going to buy a new one till I absolutely have to.

Black Bart
Where are the rear brake hubs located on your JD? If you have a pic it would really help. I'm kinda thinking about something like the band that wraps around a drum, like the one on my go kart.
My JD has drums just like what you see on a car.

handirifle

Threads
Thanks, I need to investigate some low price methods to accomplish this.

grass cutter

Threads
A locking diff has been a option on garden tractors for a while. I know that some newer husquvarna and john deere mowers have a locking diff, I wish it was standard on riding mowers. I can't count the amout of times a locking diff would have come in handy

Razor5000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Interesting idea of a limited slip diff for a lawn mower. My front yard slopes down towards the road and then there is a drainage ditch, so I know all about wheel spin. I've only had rear engine riders, so traction has not been as big a problem as with tractor style mowers. However, the first one I had didn't have a swinging front axle, so only frame flex would keep both rear wheels on the ground. I finally locked up the diff by clamping the housing to the axle. This gave good traction, but it pushed badly (NASCAR parlance), so I'd have to put my weight over the front to make it turn. That's something else you can do to get better traction, disable the dumb seat switch so you can stand up and shift your weight around. I'm really surprised that no manufacturer has come up with some sort of limited slip or locking differential for conventional mowers.
HUSQVARNA HAS CAME OUT WITH THAT..I KNKW THIS IS AN OLD THREAD....LOCKING REAR DIFF...