Limited slip question

handirifle

Threads
I got to thinkin (here I go again, usually this is the start of trouble) since sometime when mowing I have gotten into a limited slip wheel spin, where one wheel loses traction and spins. The other does nothing.

What i got to wondering, is, if I could rig a set of independent rear wheel brakes, with a lever for each wheel, could I apply brake pressure to the spinning wheel and force the other one to turn? Kinda making a locking diff, of sorts?

Black Bart

Threads
I got to thinkin (here I go again, usually this is the start of trouble) since sometime when mowing I have gotten into a limited slip wheel spin, where one wheel loses traction and spins. The other does nothing.

What i got to wondering, is, if I could rig a set of independent rear wheel brakes, with a lever for each wheel, could I apply brake pressure to the spinning wheel and force the other one to turn? Kinda making a locking diff, of sorts?
Braking one wheel will force the other one to pull.
Tractor pullers use this trick all the time or you could buy a ZTR and then you have total control over the drive tires.:biggrin:

handirifle

Threads
Well it wasnt mentioned here but a ZT probably wont work here, so i am told. The grass can be too tall at times and with the hills and wet conditions, i am better off wit a garden tractor, which is what i have. Wasbjust wonderin how to improve it.

Black Bart

Threads
Well it wasnt mentioned here but a ZT probably wont work here, so i am told. The grass can be too tall at times and with the hills and wet conditions, i am better off wit a garden tractor, which is what i have. Wasbjust wonderin how to improve it.
Sounds like you have been given some poor info.
Unless your tractor has 4 wheel drive it will not climb any better than a ZTR especially with open differential.
I believe the problem is that the ole front mount mowers like the Grasshopper was very poor on a slope so most still think the mid mount is the same.
This is the wonderful thing about the internet someone reads something then reposts it somewhere else and soon it become true and is posted everywhere. :laughing:

handirifle

Threads
Sounds like you have been given some poor info.
Unless your tractor has 4 wheel drive it will not climb any better than a ZTR especially with open differential.
I believe the problem is that the ole front mount mowers like the Grasshopper was very poor on a slope so most still think the mid mount is the same.
This is the wonderful thing about the internet someone reads something then reposts it somewhere else and soon it become true and is posted everywhere. :laughing:

That may vey well be. Since i never owned one i cannot say. There were a couple replies about grass height and for theamount of money i would be spending (under 3K) theirs wuldn't cut 12" oor taller grass, which is what i sometimes cut.

Black Bart

Threads
That may vey well be. Since i never owned one i cannot say. There were a couple replies about grass height and for theamount of money i would be spending (under 3K) theirs wuldn't cut 12" oor taller grass, which is what i sometimes cut.

I just watched a video of a ZTR cutting 4 foot grass but at the price range you quote you won't get much in the way a mower unless it is used.

oldyellr

Threads
Interesting idea of a limited slip diff for a lawn mower. My front yard slopes down towards the road and then there is a drainage ditch, so I know all about wheel spin. I've only had rear engine riders, so traction has not been as big a problem as with tractor style mowers. However, the first one I had didn't have a swinging front axle, so only frame flex would keep both rear wheels on the ground. I finally locked up the diff by clamping the housing to the axle. This gave good traction, but it pushed badly (NASCAR parlance), so I'd have to put my weight over the front to make it turn. That's something else you can do to get better traction, disable the dumb seat switch so you can stand up and shift your weight around. I'm really surprised that no manufacturer has come up with some sort of limited slip or locking differential for conventional mowers.

Black Bart

Threads
Interesting idea of a limited slip diff for a lawn mower. My front yard slopes . I'm really surprised that no manufacturer has come up with some sort of limited slip or locking differential for conventional mowers.
This has been available for years but not in the cheapo mowers.

I have a 1985 430 John Deere and it has a pedal that you push with your foot and as long as I keep it depressed it locks the differential but you must let off of it to turn.

oldyellr

Threads
This has been available for years but not in the cheapo mowers.

I have a 1985 430 John Deere and it has a pedal that you push with your foot and as long as I keep it depressed it locks the differential but you must let off of it to turn.

I KNEW it had to be so, just hadn't seen it since most of my experience is with the cheapo stuff. It seems to me that nothing as complicated as an automotive limited slip would be necessary for a lawn tractor, just a way to lock the diff temporarily when needed. Another trick I've found that works if a rear wheel loses traction on an uphill turn is to wiggle the steering left and right to vary the loading on the rear wheels.

Black Bart

Threads
I KNEW it had to be so, just hadn't seen it since most of my experience is with the cheapo stuff. It seems to me that nothing as complicated as an automotive limited slip would be necessary for a lawn tractor, just a way to lock the diff temporarily when needed. Another trick I've found that works if a rear wheel loses traction on an uphill turn is to wiggle the steering left and right to vary the loading on the rear wheels.
My JD also has individual brake pedals so when making a sharp turn you can apply the brake.

It has hydraulic lift for the deck or attachments that go on the front or rear. PTO front and rear\ power steering\Diff lock everything that you would have on a full size farm tractor it is just a smaller version.