Attachments LIGHT KIT FOR 21 IN. MOWER?

Elias40

Threads
There was talk years ago, about using the part of the high tension voltage from the field collapse of the magneto's coil: inductively coupled to a capacitor, or another transformer, or both, to use the same as the spark plug. This was before White Light Emitting Diodes appeared on the market. They figured there still wouldn't be enough current generated from the scheme, to illuminate a 20 W 12V incandescent bulb to a desirable enough candlepower, up to and including it's rated output.

But since WHITE LED devices are available to the engineers, and consumers, as well, It could very well be feasible to generate enough light, just by induction coming from the field collapse (fly-back) from the magneto, with the scheme mentioned above; It would mean: No batteries required, self contained, and reliable.
If interested, We might be able to experiment and with tech support from engineering websites, we may be able to come up with a working prototype.
I forgot to mention, that there may be others working on this already. We don't know.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, I don't know how this is for a comparison but I borrowed one of your pictures to do a garage comparison.

View attachment 9642View attachment 9643View attachment 9641View attachment 9640View attachment 9644View attachment 9645

The last two pictures are the entrance to the house 23 feet away and if you look you can see a dish that's 5 feet in front of the mower and check the light on the floor around the mower. Tonight I'll take some in the yard and will see how they come out.

Now all this being said the thing to remember is this, as you look at the lights on the bar the right is 1100 candle power, the left is 1500 candle power, the ones you will be buying are 2200 candle power and, twice that of my right and 700 candlepower more than my left. If you should buy two that means you're looking at 4400CP in front of you VS my 2600, a BIG difference.

Ric,

I've been away from the forums for a while, but I recently took a first-hand look at some of the bicycle lights at a couple of Nashville area bike dealerships. After looking at them(they weren't the brand you suggested and they were $75-$85 each and "awfully small"), I decided to check out light kits at a couple of the auto part stores for comparison. I found a set of driving lights with 55watt Halogen bulbs and the ones I found at Advance Auto Parts were real nice. I ended up getting that set of "Baja Tough" driving lights, an additional LED toggle switch that will mount through a small drilled hole(the kits had a switch but it required a large square cutout for mounting) and a real nice installation kit that includes a relay, in-line fuse and battery connector all for approx. $40 total. These light kits(designed for off-road vehicles) seemed to be much more appropriate for mounting on a Zero Turn mower(although the lights you recommended would still probably be the option of choice for a push mower). Gravely wanted $125 for a light kit and I thought that was a bit pricey for as much as I would be using it(I rarely mow late enough for it to get dark on me, but do on occaission). I'll let you know how the installation goes in case any other readers of this thread are interested in adding a light kit to their ZTR mower(as much as we paid for these Zero Turns you would think a light kit would be "included"....it is on even the cheapest lawn tractors:0)

Threads
Ric,

I've been away from the forums for a while, but I recently took a first-hand look at some of the bicycle lights at a couple of Nashville area bike dealerships. After looking at them(they weren't the brand you suggested and they were $75-$85 each and "awfully small"), I decided to check out light kits at a couple of the auto part stores for comparison. I found a set of driving lights with 55watt Halogen bulbs and the ones I found at Advance Auto Parts were real nice. I ended up getting that set of "Baja Tough" driving lights, an additional LED toggle switch that will mount through a small drilled hole(the kits had a switch but it required a large square cutout for mounting) and a real nice installation kit that includes a relay, in-line fuse and battery connector all for approx. $40 total. These light kits(designed for off-road vehicles) seemed to be much more appropriate for mounting on a Zero Turn mower(although the lights you recommended would still probably be the option of choice for a push mower). Gravely wanted $125 for a light kit and I thought that was a bit pricey for as much as I would be using it(I rarely mow late enough for it to get dark on me, but do on occaission). I'll let you know how the installation goes in case any other readers of this thread are interested in adding a light kit to their ZTR mower(as much as we paid for these Zero Turns you would think a light kit would be "included"....it is on even the cheapest lawn tractors:0)

Please include pictures when you have the lights mounted on the ZTR! I agree, bike lights are very expensive! :eek: And yes, I always wondered why ZTR's don't have lights included, or even push mowers. Snowblowers do and as you said, so do lawn tractors. Yes, I know you are more likely to use your snowblower at night compared to a mower, but some people are unable to do it when it is light out. :rolleyes:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ric,

ric/lmf,

Well, I goterdun!!! Ended up costing me a total of $36.72 plus tax(I returned the additional "wiring kit" because the light kit had all the wiring I needed) and some misc materials for wire routing & securing(nylon wire clamps & screws and nylon cable ties). I'll post pictures of the light kit and rocker switch below and here are the details of the materials, including the installation materials:
1)Blazer "Baja Tough" Driving Light Kit(55watt Halogen) Part#DF1088B-$19.99 which includes the necessary wiring and hardware for installation.
2)AutoCraft 30amp Rocker Switch(Red LED) Part#84840-$8.49
Both of the above purchased at Advance Auto Parts
3)Scotch(3M) Outdoor Mounting Tape(Two-sided adhesive tape holds up to 5lbs)-$4.27
4)Liquid Nails Adhesive(Home Projects For Extreme Temperature And Conditions) Part#LN-201-$3.97
Both of the above purchased at WalMart. The light kit came with mounting screws, but the best place to mount these lights was on the front of the gas tanks on each side just above the rear tires. Even though the plastic gas tanks are pretty thick I didn't want to take any chances. I cut the Scotch Adhesive tape to fit the inside of the light bracket(two pieces and two layers) and applied a small amount of the Liquid Nails on the light bracket, mounted the first two tape pieces to the bracket, applied a small amount of the Liquid Nail to that and applied the second set of pieces to the first pieces. Then I applied a small amount of Liquid Nail to the second layer of tape and pressed/mounted to the mower. I know this may sound a little strange....but it looks GREAT and it would take a crowbar to get those lights off my Gravely!!!!! I will post pics below of the light kit & rocker switch(drilled a hole in the plate where all of the controls are at for the mower and it mounted easily).
Once I have a chance, I will take some pictures of the Gravely with the lights mounted and post them. I think you'll agree it looks like a professional installation!!

Attachments

• DSC03290.jpg
    DSC03290.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC03289.jpg
    DSC03289.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 8

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sweet! Can't wait to see it on the mower! :thumbsup:

lmf,
As you know(and for the benefit of any other posters subscribing to this particular thread), I posted some pics in the Gravely/Ariens forum of the finished product(the Advance Auto Parts Driving Light Kit I installed over the winter). Below is a link to that thread for anyone interested(be advised that you may have to scroll up several posts to see all of the pics, because I could not get the "Attachment Manager" to upload all of the jpegs in a single post:0)

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/gravely-ariens-forum/879-gravely-ariens-owner-check-read-first-5.html

Threads
It was warm out this evening (generally speaking) so I took my mower out at night and took pictures of it with the light on. It is VERY bright! I will definitely be able to do some "night mowing"! :wink: Even though it is very bright I have to caution you about something: the picture on the package shows it on the side of the handle bar and it is pointing forward. I was unable to make it work right that way, even when I made the light fold out. So I just decided to put it on the "grip-part" of the handlebar, in between my hands. It works great there, but it was not where I was expecting to put it. But then again my mower is not a Craftsman like it is meant for. Enjoy the pics! :smile:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was warm out this evening (generally speaking) so I took my mower out at night and took pictures of it with the light on. It is VERY bright! I will definitely be able to do some "night mowing"! :wink: Even though it is very bright I have to caution you about something: the picture on the package shows it on the side of the handle bar and it is pointing forward. I was unable to make it work right that way, even when I made the light fold out. So I just decided to put it on the "grip-part" of the handlebar, in between my hands. It works great there, but it was not where I was expecting to put it. But then again my mower is not a Craftsman like it is meant for. Enjoy the pics! :smile:
View attachment 13533 View attachment 13534 View attachment 13535 View attachment 13536 View attachment 13537

lmf,
That worked out very well on your push mower!!!! You can see well on each side and at least 25 feet or so out front. Is that one of those bicycle lights that user Ric was talking about or did you say it's a Craftsman light made especially for a mower?

Threads