Export thread

Lifetime Deck warranty is not hhhhonored

K

Kenneth Brock

Purchased a new Ts 348 Husqvarna lawn tractor in Aug 2019. Deck came apart at weld while taking up leaves. Husqvarna will not honor warranty.

Attachments

Mower King

Mower King

In that pic, looks like the right deck spindle deck mounting is cracked all around the right spindle and about to come apart!

R

Rivets

First off, please don’t start two threads about the same problem. This only gets confusing and doesn’t help you with your problem. Second, who are you dealing with and where did you purchase it? Have you talked to a Big Box center, Husqvarna dealer, or Husqvarna directly? Looking at your pic, you need to work with an authorized Husqvarna dealer or directly with Husqvarna. As MowerKing just posted, looks like area around the spindle is cracked, with is caused by the blade hitting something hard. If the deck is cracked around the spindle, this would be considered customer abuse, which is not covered by any manufacturers warranty. Sorry we can’t provide a more positive response.

I

ILENGINE

Cracks around the spindle would indicate striking a solid object. the gauge wheel bouncing over rough ground could result in the deck cracking in that area, especially if the deck cross member at the discharge is not present. I can see why they denied the warranty, and the cracks around the spindle would do it in.

bkeller500

bkeller500

It would seem logical from that pic that the deck took a huge hit from a root or curb. It's hard to imagine that the crack near the spindle or the gap at the rear of the deck happened due to a faulty weld or manufacturing defect.

R

Rivets

I’d really like to see the blade from that spindle. Willing to bet it is either nice and sharp or with a nice chunk out of it, plus probably bent.

M

MParr

That falls under improper operation. You want the manufacturer to warranty obvious operator caused damage?

Mower King

Mower King

It would seem logical from that pic that the deck took a huge hit from a root or curb. It's hard to imagine that the crack near the spindle or the gap at the rear of the deck happened due to a faulty weld or manufacturing defect.
A LOT, and I mean A LOT of people think a mower warranty covers EVERYTHING no matter what, they seem to be either BLIND, or IGNORANT to the reality of a Mower Warranty!
I believe a lot of that stems from buying a mower from a box store, the guy selling it to you is just working there for a job and might not even own a mower and, never has and really don't care.
And I know for a FACT, because it happens to us, a national chain big box store ( I won't name) sells their equipment to customers telling them that our Dealership does their Warranty, and we don't, it has happened for several years now....I think some box stores say things like that, just to sell it and after that....who cares!
I know, when a person buys a mower from the Dealership I work at, the Owner sits down with every buyer and goes over every page of the Owners Manual and Highlights with a marker, all the most important parts and what Warranty covers and doesn't cover!

I

ILENGINE

A LOT, and I mean A LOT of people think a mower warranty covers EVERYTHING no matter what, they seem to be either BLIND, or IGNORANT to the reality of a Mower Warranty!
I believe a lot that stems from buying a mower from a box store, the guy selling it to you is just working there for a job and might not even own a mower and, never has!
And I know for a FACT, because it happens to us, a national chain big box store ( I won't name) sells their equipment to customers telling them that our Dealership does their Warranty, and we don't, it has happened for several years now....I think some box stores say things like that, just to sell it and after that....who cares!
I know, when a person buys a mower from the Dealership I work at, the Owner sits down with every buyer and goes over every page of the Owners Manual and Highlights with a marker, all the most important parts and what Warranty covers and doesn't cover!
Agree with your assessment of what most people think warranty covers, and the box stores don't give out accurate information most of the time.. Actually there are a lot of people believe if they break it then warranty will fix it.. Want some interesting reading. Read the MTD handheld warranty page. When you get done you will be wondering what they do cover.

StarTech

StarTech

Like I always say about warranties. They are not worth the paper they are printed. They written by lawyers so the company doesn't have to cover anything. All hype and no substance.

B

bertsmobile1

Firstly as others have said , but I will say it again
The warranty covers defects in materials &/or assembly so it covers the steel failing , a weld failing, a weld not being there, missing parts or bracket welded in the wrong position
All if these would manifest themselves in the first few hours of use
It does not cover misuse , abuse or failure to carry out proper maintenance
Next , lifetime is a meaningless term.
Legally it would mean the design service life and that would be for the shortest major part.
So if the transmission has a designed service life of 1000 hours ( K46 for example ) then 1000 hours is the life time of the mower.
If you payed extra for the extended warranty then you have been legally scammed .

Now as to your deck.
That is not a sudden failure
That crack has been there for a very long time slowly growing longer , you just failed to notice it till leaves & clippings started to stream out of it .
It was caused by excessive vibrations and excessive vibrations are a user abuse situation because they originate from some thing being out of balance which is usually a bent , broken or very dull blade .

If the mower was serviced by a competiant technician then they would have noticed the excessive vibrations and corrected the situation
If you have done your own servicing and have failed to notice the excessive vibrations then that is not Husqvarna's fault that is your fault for trying to do some thing you do not have the knowledge or experience to do .
FWIW I have just replaced an engine on a mower where the customer thought maintaining his mower was just a case of installing a maintenance kit annually so his ignorance just cost him $ 3500 .

Any reasonable welder can patch that deck then you need to paint it on the top .
After that you need to work out what is causing the vibrations and correct that
I could fairly safely bet that the holes in the mounting arms have been flogged out oval as well.

Sorry to hear about your failed deck but it is not Husqvarna's problem it is yours
You can spend another $ 2,000 and have a metallurgical inspecting & testing company do a report on it .
However I am fairly sure it will just confirm what I have said .
I did this sort of stuff after graduating as a metallurgist back in 72 .
It was extremely rare to come across a failure due to materials faults other than a lower grade of material being used.
However in your case there are two ( if not more ) cheaper variations of that mower made fr other brands that use cheaper & thinner steel for the deck pressing so again it will come down to owner abuse .

I

ILENGINE

The warranty covers defects in materials &/or assembly so it covers the steel failing , a weld failing, a weld not being there, missing parts or bracket welded in the wrong position
Legally it would mean the design service life and that would be for the shortest major part.
So if the transmission has a designed service life of 1000 hours ( K46 for example ) then 1000 hours is the life time of the mower.
If you payed extra for the extended warranty then you have been legally scammed .

Now as to your deck.
That crack has been there for a very long time slowly growing longer , you just failed to notice it till leaves & clippings started to stream out of it .
It was caused by excessive vibrations and excessive vibrations are a user abuse situation because they originate from some thing being out of balance which is usually a bent , broken or very dull blade .

If the mower was serviced by a competiant technician then they would have noticed the excessive vibrations and corrected the situation
If you have done your own servicing and have failed to notice the excessive vibrations then that is not Husqvarna's fault that is your fault for trying to do some thing you do not have the knowledge or experience to do .
FWIW I have just replaced an engine on a mower where the customer thought maintaining his mower was just a case of installing a maintenance kit annually so his ignorance just cost him $ 3500 .

Any reasonable welder can patch that deck then you need to paint it on the top .
I could fairly safely bet that the holes in the mounting arms have been flogged out oval as well.

Sorry to hear about your failed deck but it is not Husqvarna's problem it is yours
You can spend another $ 2,000 and have a metallurgical inspecting & testing company do a report on it .
It was extremely rare to come across a failure due to materials faults other than a lower grade of material being used.
However in your case there are two ( if not more ) cheaper variations of that mower made fr other brands that use cheaper & thinner steel for the deck pressing so again it will come down to owner abuse .
Husqvarna lifetime warranty is 10 years with parts only after 2 years. So the OP would of still been on the hook for the labor if they had covered the deck.

strohmoose

strohmoose

One of many reasons that I will not buy new equipment. My Dixie Chopper is Almost 20 years old and is made 10 times stronger than the new crap! I maintain it and it has been good for me.

strohmoose

strohmoose

Now as to your deck.

It is so sad that most of the comments are derogatory to the commentator and with endless defense of equipment manufacturers. I hope that this is a case of manufacturers fault because it is so rare that they accept responsibility!

strohmoose

strohmoose

Husqvarna lifetime warranty is 10 years with parts only after 2 years. So the OP would of still been on the hook for the labor if they had covered the deck.
Another good reason to buy used from a private owner and learn to maintain the equipment yourself!

GentlemanFahmah

GentlemanFahmah

The good news is that that is a straight forward and easy 1 hour repair by a competent welder. It looks more to me like most likely there was some deck failure around the rear wheel and then contact with a solid object peeled it open like a can opener. I can see why Husqy would decline warranty as by appearances, the damage showing now is not weld failure as that section of the peeled open deck is not welded. Maybe around the rear deck wheel there was an issue initially, but that's a lot more now.

Just pull the deck and take it to a welding shop and they will build it bigger stronger better for short money.

StarTech

StarTech

It also fail because the support structure is missing allow the deck housing to constantly flex causing the failure see in the image.
1643214887063.png

upupandaway

upupandaway

Like I always say about warranties. They are not worth the paper they are printed. They written by lawyers so the company doesn't have to cover anything. All hype and no substance.
The 1 time I bought new was an Echo Hedge trimmer. They live up to your statement as they (store and echo support) point out I was responsible for labor. A friend and his echo blower had the same experience. It is cheaper to just buy the part and replace it myself. Good sales trick.

R

Rivets

We can only call them as we see them and then give our opinion based on our experience and knowledge. If you have been around this forum for any length of time you would know that the techs who have replied to this thread have thousands of hours working on equipment and know a little about what we are talking about. In most cases we can go on and on about customers who have units worse than this and still think they deserve compensation. We don’t consistently back anyone, especially dealers or manufacturers. In this case it is very easy to see that the cause of the problem is customer abuse in the eyes of any trained mechanic. All of us have seen this more than once, so don’t expect us to back the customer on this one. If you feel that the customer should receive compensation for this problem, you’ll never get a job in this industry, but I’m sure the poster would gladly accept any monetary help you wish to offer.

G

Gord Baker

That indications around the Spindle may be just shadows. Get it professionally Welded and send some hate mail to Husqvarna If you feel it is a legit claim. Lots of photos from both sides of the deck.

J

Joed756

Mower King

Mower King

I have to post this from time to time and, after reading some of these replies......I feel it's time to post it again!

Attachments

I

ILENGINE

It is so sad that most of the comments are derogatory to the commentator and with endless defense of equipment manufacturers. I hope that this is a case of manufacturers fault because it is so rare that they accept responsibility!
As somebody else said. We are not defending the manufacturers, or even trying to bad mouth the customers. But a lot of people have the attitude that if they break their lawnmower then the manufacturer will cover it under warranty. But in reality about 90% of the stuff that we see as techs is the equivalent of somebody going to the gas station and getting water in their gas, and then expect Ford to pay for repairing the fuel system on their new car. Or somebody driving their new truck into a brick wall, and then expect Chevy to pay for the damage. But nobody will think about trying to file a warranty claim for their new vehicle in those cases, but they will expect it when it comes to outdoor power equipment and then badmouth the manufacturer because they won't cover their misfortunes.

S

STX-38-46

From the looks of the deck I would say that the damage is not from "Normal Use" and was caused by striking or contacting solid objects. I do not feel that any manufacturer representitive for any make would honor the Warranty because of the visible signs of previous damage to the deck.

B

bertsmobile1

Not derogatory in any way shape or form, just blunt & direct .
The deck has failed due to operator abuse not because it was bad from the start or was a bad design.
There is no way to candy coat it and candy coating does no one any good.
Hopefully Ken will be more aware of the way his mower is running in the future and this will prevent repeat performances.
I am no fan of Husqvarna and tell any one who asks me to avoid buying any of their products other than chain saws and if you check my posts you will see that view is regularly expressed
Allowing Ken to wreck another deck is not helping Ken or any one else
You might note that I also said the warranty is a con & Ken was conned so hopefully with future purchases he will be a lot more careful to establish what is a warranty claim
You might also note I provided some help "get it welded ".
Please try to read posts in an objective mannar .
Ask any tech about how many customers come storming in demanding a warranty claim over something that is either not covered or has been created by their misuse / abuse of the gear .
I have to be blunt & honest with them as well and I have been spat at & punched for doing so , no one likes to be told a failure was their fault , but I am an honest tech.
Some of them have stormed out to another dealer, paid a deposit pending a warranty approval then had it denied decided not to have the work done is they have to pay for it so end up with a mower in pieces and several hundred out of pocket . A couple have even come back & got me to do the repair after all as my gestimate was less than 1/2 what the dealer quoted .

Now we do not have the full story about Kens mower so it is difficult to pinpoint where the problem originated buy I can tell a fatigue crack at 100 paces and fatigue cracks form because of repeated stress cycles be they thermal , mechanical or torsional so Ken is doing some thing wrong and the best service we can do for him is to find out what he is doing wrong & correct it not bare a shoulder for him to cry on .

B

bertsmobile1

The good news is that that is a straight forward and easy 1 hour repair by a competent welder. It looks more to me like most likely there was some deck failure around the rear wheel and then contact with a solid object peeled it open like a can opener. I can see why Husqy would decline warranty as by appearances, the damage showing now is not weld failure as that section of the peeled open deck is not welded. Maybe around the rear deck wheel there was an issue initially, but that's a lot more now.

Just pull the deck and take it to a welding shop and they will build it bigger stronger better for short money.
That is exactly what I see as well
So Ken needs to have the deck welded then have a good look at everything else to isolate the root cause to prevent it happening again.
And note we both said to use a competent welder , ie a professional welding shop not the dealer's apprentice.

B

bertsmobile1

From the looks of the deck I would say that the damage is not from "Normal Use" and was caused by striking or contacting solid objects. I do not feel that any manufacturer representitive for any make would honor the Warranty because of the visible signs of previous damage to the deck.
GF got it right back in post # 16
The deck cracked, it could have been cracked for years then Ken hit something that opened out the crack so he noticed it.
Looks more like he got the deck hung on some thing to drag the back open and even that suggests the deck is heeling rather than being used with a positive attack angle .

C

CaptFerd

I see 2 layers of old paint. Hard to imagine that deck only 3 years old. Id just find a friend with a welder and just fix it, if its that much a hassle with the warranty stuff.

I

ILENGINE

It also fail because the support structure is missing allow the deck housing to constantly flex causing the failure see in the image.
View attachment 59418
I would say that is the initial cause of the crack along the back of the deck. Either removed, or damaged/ripped off and then the crack along the rear of the spindle as well as the deck cracked out around the spindle bolts put it in the coffin.

E

enigma-2

Afraid I'm going to agree with the concensus. You hit something rock solid and 'tore' the deck. Started at the outboard edge and continued when the thing you hit failed to yield. The giant scrape at the side is proof positive. To me, it doesn't appear to be a failed weld, rather the metal tore adjacent to the weld. We've all did it. He'll i ran into the front of the house with one of my tractors. Had to replace headlights and front grill. Sigh.

If it were me, I'd find a local welder and hull the deck over to him and get it welded before it gets worst. Think the last time I did this it only cose me $20. (Wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but won't be a big deal either).