Let's talk about blade sharpening?

Glades Cat

Threads
Retired blades make good knives. Cut to rough shape, flatten, grind to shape, sharpen, drill and make handle.

Bange

Threads
Star tech

I understand your point now...
But which angle offers the greatest resistance of blade material to the material being cut, or something else?
I am convinced that the 45° is stronger and will suffer less damage...

Ângulo de afiação.jpg

Bange

Threads
But original from the factory or the way it comes to your hands to sharpen?

Lawn Addict
Threads
For cleaning blades, I simply put them in a old drain pan, & add some tap water to barely submerge them, & let soak 1/2 hour,
remove & simply wipe clean. The water does the work & makes cleaning so simple.. No grinding debris dust to breathe.

Sharpening, I use a mill file & finish with a flap wheel... The OE blades I have are Marbain Steel ( heat treated ) so they hold an edge very well..(30* x .030") I also use a set of Oregon blades, & really like them. I pivot balance, & works for my private use.

Last edited:

Bange

Threads
Very ecological... but water does not remove the rust crust and in these cases you must use something more aggressive...

Bange

Threads
One question...

A = dull blade that needs sharpening.
B = Use of an appropriate power tool for sharpening
C= Another form of sharpening with a specific tool.
Consider B and C after many sharpenings...

What is trend B or C?
Perfil após afiações.jpg

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dang! You got a $3k Burrking.
Totally jealous. I just have the All American sharpener with an angle grinder with 36 grit flap disks. I built a wire brush blade cleaner from a table saw motor but it makes such a mess I don't use it much. If my shop was bigger I would get something better but I am so crowded now no room for anything new.
Actually in my case I split the cost with my nephew who runs a stump removal business, and the same grinder uses the diamond belts so he can sharpen his carbide stump grinder teeth. Those belts are $134 each. but my 1-1/2x60 36 grit ceramic sharpening belts are $10.99 and will do about 80 blades before replacement.