Leaving equipment outside

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Garage is full and mowers are multiplying. I have no more room, but I found a storage area that has a gate and 24 hour surveillance (cameras, lights, always some one there). I was thinking about letting my trailer there with my mowers on it. I would cover the whole trailer with a nice big tarp every time I am done working. This way all equipment could be protected from the sun and rain. Would this be all right? I don't feel like paying storage for a trailer and then my mowers.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sure you can, but I've seen over the years when a man has more equipment than he can use and maintain the condition of that equipment goes down hill at a high rate of speed and the end result is very little value. Surveillance cameras persons present won't deter mice nesting and wire insulation chewing, nor varnished fuel systems and flat tires.

LoCo86

Threads
Sure you can, but I've seen over the years when a man has more equipment than he can use and maintain the condition of that equipment goes down hill at a high rate of speed and the end result is very little value. Surveillance cameras persons present won't deter mice nesting and wire insulation chewing, nor varnished fuel systems and flat tires.

Very true.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well said SeniorCitizen. I didn't think about the mice. But, there are probably mice in closed storage centers also.

I will give it a shot, I have no other choice. I can also dump my yard waste there, so that is a big plus for me.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Garage is full and mowers are multiplying. I have no more room, but I found a storage area that has a gate and 24 hour surveillance (cameras, lights, always some one there). I was thinking about letting my trailer there with my mowers on it. I would cover the whole trailer with a nice big tarp every time I am done working. This way all equipment could be protected from the sun and rain. Would this be all right? I don't feel like paying storage for a trailer and then my mowers.

I think I'd start cleaning out the garage. Leaving a trailer outside is bad enough but with your equipment is asking for trouble. Mice and nesting is a minor problem compared to thief. My son-in-law did the same thing, he even had the trailer locked to another structure and the tongue locked and someone drove through a padlocked/gated area with lights the whole works with there trailer and unloaded his trailer on to theirs and away they went with every piece of equipment he owned including gas cans.
I also found out the tarp thing doesn't really work well either because your equipment will rust, plastic will warp, seats will rot and ware from the heat and humidity. It wound be like you sleeping in a tent in the middle of the day when it's 100 degree heat.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I'd start cleaning out the garage. Leaving a trailer outside is bad enough but with your equipment is asking for trouble. Mice and nesting is a minor problem compared to thief. My son-in-law did the same thing, he even had the trailer locked to another structure and the tongue locked and someone drove through a padlocked/gated area with lights the whole works with there trailer and unloaded his trailer on to theirs and away they went with every piece of equipment he owned including gas cans.
I also found out the tarp thing doesn't really work well either because your equipment will rust, plastic will warp, seats will rot and ware from the heat and humidity. It wound be like you sleeping in a tent in the middle of the day when it's 100 degree heat.

Ya my budys trailer just got stolen, inside a 6 foot wooden fence padlocked. Tounge lock broke, and chain cut he had the chain through the wheels and frame they got off with two Honda commercial mowers an echo weedeater ledger hand blower and back pack plus all the little misc stuff needed :( insurance won't pay either. I had to loan him some cash to buy some stuff

Threads
Personally I hate it when my equipment gets rained on, so I would never want to leave my stuff outside. My trailer gets priority over a vehicle for space in the garage.
I feel covering it with a tarp wouldn't be good either, though, just because of the heat and moisture.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I hate it when my equipment gets rained on, so I would never want to leave my stuff outside. My trailer gets priority over a vehicle for space in the garage.
I feel covering it with a tarp wouldn't be good either, though, just because of the heat and moisture.

Ya if your equipment is wet it's a bad start to your day especially if the mower bags are wet, might as well give up now. My truck doesn't fit in the garage so the trailer gets the space :)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I couldn't do any better I'd find a Central heat and air conditioned storage unit and use it for my equipment. Cutting a couple of lawns extra a day to pay the storage fees would be well worth it or you could buy a storage shed and move all the stuff out of the garage to the shed and use the garage for your equipment.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some good points there!

I talked with the owner. I can do a small housing with a roof wit wood lying around in the scrap yard to protect my mowers. Right now, I have both mowers in the garage along with trimmers and blowers. Only the exmark is outside. I have no room in the garage. Allready 2 cars and all my sutff.

I could also rent out more space like an old cube van in the scrap yard and leave my equipment in there. That is an extra 100$/months.