leaky fuel pump on 1962 Briggs motor

rickpaulos

Threads
I can get it running and have it tuned about as well as it can be. Gas is leaking out on the top of the gas tank right under the muffler. it's hard to tell exactly where its leaking but I assume it is the fuel pump cover. What else could it be? The fuel pump is the only place with gas under any kind of pressure.
I installed a carb kit: new needle & seat, gaskets, diaphragm. I cleaned the tank out, cleaned the carb. Changed the oil. Cleaned and gapped the plug.
Horizontal shaft, serial : 100202 401056 6207230
The carb has a fuel pump on the side. There are two pick up tubes. One that reaches the bottom of the main tank, the other shorter tube reaches in to a small sub chamber in the top of the main tank and leads directly to the jet & needle.
the carb kit diaphragm seemed to thin and filmy to seal the cover of the fuel pump. I got a "genuine" briggs diaphragm and that seems to leak less.

Any suggestions on using a gasket material from a tube to get a better seal?

the old gasket/diaphram:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hope the photo was the old gasket & diaphragm.
Remove the roll pin from the cover and give it a light dressing using a FLAT oil stone or a sheet of wet & dry on some glass.

Using your fingers with a sharp drill bit put a gentle relief on all of the bolt holes.
If you can get at the body, a little rub with some wet & dry won't hurt it either.
Oer time the cvers warp and the threads pull a little which stops the cover making an effective seal.
Double check you have the correct diaphragm & gasket as there are quite a few variations on the theme.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
And if you don't want to go through the trouble of milling the diaphragm cover surface a new fuel pump cover is around $5.50

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Arh the wonder of being in a country where Briggs & Stratton actually have a warehouse.
I was quoted 21 days the last time I looked at replacing a cover.
And that diaphragm still looks wrong to me.

rickpaulos

Threads
Thanks, It never occurred to me to replace the cover.

yes, those are the "before" photos. The new diaphragm looks to be the same pattern.

now, where is that honing block. I haven't used mine in 25 years at least....