leaking gas tank

BTW ...
Congrats on a DIY fix.... not only did you save some cash but you are now more familiar with your mower and will be more likely able to attack any other problem that may come up:thumbsup:...

If you roughed up the tank at the crack the epoxy should hold well, I prefer using a thermal repair, but I have read that there are some great epoxy products available ...
:smile:KennyV
 
BTW ...
Congrats on a DIY fix.... not only did you save some cash but you are now more familiar with your mower and will be more likely able to attack any other problem that may come up:thumbsup:...

If you roughed up the tank at the crack the epoxy should hold well, I prefer using a thermal repair, but I have read that there are some great epoxy products available ...
:smile:KennyV

Kenny, there are some products available for use in what they term RV holding tanks for waste from the RV drain systems, I have never used any but supposedly they will weld plastic well...not sure how good they work on a fuel tank...the only plastic welding product I have had experience with is what is called JB Weld, you mix together the stuff from two tubes. I used it to patch a plastic snowblower gas tank one time.

Glenn, congratulations on your success with finding and hopefully fixing the leak...as Kenny says now that you have some experience in working on your JD you will have more understanding of your machine, and gained some confidence. Repair shops must hate people like you, taking away their $80 an hour ripoff charges....:laughing:
 
wouldn't you want the gas tank repairs and surrounding cushioning material (if used) to be gas resistance material... idk just wondering :smile:
 
wouldn't you want the gas tank repairs and surrounding cushioning material (if used) to be gas resistance material... idk just wondering :smile:

Good point, the JB Weld I used on my blower gas tank was said to be resistant to any solvent, the instructions that came with it had a testimonial from somebody who said they successfully repaired a big bulldozer with it...didn't give specifics, however.
 
Hello, I have moved your post to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!
 
Back
Top