Leaking fuel

bobcat2

Threads
Hello all,

I have 3 Echo string trimmers at work, and 1 at home, they all leak fuel at the gas cap. I've replaced the caps several times, and within a year, they start leaking again. Has anyone found an aftermarket cap or gasket to fix the issue?

I love the trimmers, but this is getting old.

Thanks,
bobcat2

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are the caps leaking around the threads or are the in cap vents leaking. Actually some Echo's have the elevated line from the tank with a vent on it. Does Echo offer fuel cap gaskets.

bobcat2

Threads
The top of the inside of the cap has a rubber mat/gasket material I suspect is leaking, I haven't found just the gasket, I ended up buying new caps. I'm sure I can get a universal type cap if I look, or try a heavy o ring.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

You could try making a gasket out of cork sheet gasket and some thin walled tubing sharpened to act as a punch. It is kind of hard to get it exact width you need.

Regards

Jeff

cruzenmike

Threads
Be careful replacing o-rings or gaskets in caps as they are not all made to be "compatible" with fuel. Obviously an OEM part would be ideal. If I am not mistaken, all of these machines should have plastic tanks which can warp or the openings become "out of round" which would lead to persistent leaking.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello all,

I have 3 Echo string trimmers at work, and 1 at home, they all leak fuel at the gas cap. I've replaced the caps several times, and within a year, they start leaking again. Has anyone found an aftermarket cap or gasket to fix the issue?

I love the trimmers, but this is getting old.

Thanks,
bobcat2
The fuel caps have holes in them to allow air to enter the tank
When not is use the same air hole can leak fuel
Some also have an external vent to prevent the tank over pressurizing during use
Thse can ge blocked and fail to operate so air gets sucked in overnight when it is cold and fuel gets blow out during the day.
It is always a good idea to store them tank side up.
Tank caps are specific to the actual tank and swapping them willi nilli can lead to the machines not working properly.
Overtightening most caps will wreck them or the threads on the tank .