LB 22271 - Anybody Else Have One?

1saxman

Threads
The 22271 was the LB 'ultimate mower' with aluminum 'Insight' deck, steel ball-bearing wheels with replaceable tires, Honda GSV 190 Commercial OHC engine w/iron sleeve, ball bearings and HD crank and Variable Speed drive. They only made a few in 2007 but Toro then took over and made the same thing in red and white, the 22156. These were available for a few years but have finally been dropped. I got mine in Spring of '08. The only one I could find was mail order. So 12 years later, its still my 'lifetime mower'.
22271d1.JPG

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have two which come into the shop every spring, so they’re not that unusual to me.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is that the actual mower or a picture of a new one? How does that variable speed drive function? Just curious. Hamster drive or an actual transmission?

upupandaway

Threads
Did they make that deck with steel also? I ask because now and then someone is selling a variation of the mower on craigslist.

1saxman

Threads
Is that the actual mower or a picture of a new one? How does that variable speed drive function? Just curious. Hamster drive or an actual transmission?
That's mine when it was new. Not quite as sharp now but still nice if I wash it. Variable Speed is essentially the same as Personal Pace except with manual control. Slipping belt tightened by the bail for any speed up to full. Belt drives a reduction gear. This is the simplest and most trouble free drive there is.

1saxman

Threads
Did they make that deck with steel also? I ask because now and then someone is selling a variation of the mower on craigslist.
This model only had the aluminum deck and GSV engine but the regular 'Insight' mower was essentially the same design in a steel deck and Tecumseh engine. The 'Insight models were $300 and the 22271 was $1000. I also have an 'Insight', 10684 from 2004. You can see similarities and some pretty obvious differences. But they both take the same blade, which is quite a benefit. I have six blades and just keep sharpening, balancing and painting them as I take them off and replace with finished ones hanging on the wall. I've been doing this since I got the 22271 in 2008 and so far have only worn out one blade - the airfoils on the ends got too thin for safety. So I bought a new one when I threw that one away.
mowers2008a.JPG

Last edited:

1saxman

Threads
According to my manuals they were built for three years, 2007-2009. The variable drive is essentially the same as today’s variable speed Toro’s. Here is an owners manual. https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=37933
When I got mine in 2008 it was pretty much the tail end of them. I never saw another new one for sale. Like I said, Toro continued to make them as the Toro 22156 in red paint for several years but you never saw one around - they were special order. I guess most professionals did not trust them as commercials and the homeowners weren't going to pay that much.

1saxman

Threads
BTW, they both bag great and have side discharge - they share a side chute.