Lawnmowing and Sprinkler systems

Rose

Threads
I am going to put in a new sprinkler system on the lawns at my farm. We get some very dry periods in August and I just don't have time to water the large grass area. I've been looking at drip sprinklers, and I've found really cute heads for the the sprinklers in the gardens. Here are a couple of pictures.

I will use the standard drip or spray system for the yards. I think I might need spray systems as I have a 4 acre grass lawn area. Your thoughts on this would be great!. I also want to make sure what ever method I pick, the riding mower won't take them out every time I use it.

Attachments

• sprinkler.jpg
    sprinkler.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 12
  • water mister.jpg
    water mister.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 12

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I am going to put in a new sprinkler system on the lawns at my farm. We get some very dry periods in August and I just don't have time to water the large grass area. I've been looking at drip sprinklers, and I've found really cute heads for the the sprinklers in the gardens. Here are a couple of pictures.

I will use the standard drip or spray system for the yards. I think I might need spray systems as I have a 4 acre grass lawn area. Your thoughts on this would be great!. I also want to make sure what ever method I pick, the riding mower won't take them out every time I use it.

For your large open grassy areas, you will need to use rotor heads. Make sure when installed, the water comming from one head touches the head closest to itself for 100% coverage. If your doing this yourself make sure you ckeck your water pressure and see how many sprinkler heads are recommended for each zone. Too many heads per zone will lead to weak water pressure and loss of coverage. Depending on the rotors you choose will determine how far apart they need to be placed.

jenkinsph

Threads
I agree with sprinkler buddy on this. Use large rotor heads with 50ft diameter coverage and allow for proper overlap. Spend the time to do the layout work it will pay off in spades.

I would start by getting the specs on the water pump source you have available, that will normally be the weakest link.

mystreba

Threads
I can't really add much to the good advice already offered here, but I have a couple of thoughts. I assume since you're on a farm that you have a well. What's your water table like? Canada has lots of groundwater, and it looks as though upper Ontario has the lion's share.

On the lawn watering - four acres requires a lot of water. If you're tapping into your home well for this, you'll mess up your water pressure for sure. So as someone else pointed out, you'd need a separate pump. Ideally, you'd have a separate source for your water, like another well or a pond (if you have one on your property) that might supply a pump house.

On the garden watering - those sprinkler heads you show are nice but they look like they'd be good for a large flower pot, but won't supply a perennial bed. I'd be looking for something that would broadcast a little better.

dannycrensh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with sprinkler buddy on this. Use large rotor heads with 50ft diameter coverage and allow for proper overlap. Spend the time to do the layout work it will pay off in spades.

I would start by getting the specs on the water pump source you have available, that will normally be the weakest link.

I couldn't agree more. Not only is it more cost effective, it's all around better planning. I thought the ornamental heads were cute but probably would only want one. I've recently done some reading on a teejet spray nozzles and wondering if anyone has any information on this type?