Lawnmower Racing

BGC

Active Member
Does anyone here do Lawnmower Racing? My kids are excited about trying this out and I need to do some tinkering with the mower they will use. Any ideas on what type of modifications would be good for this?
 
I don't do it but I find it very funny -- I'm sure that I'd be interested if I was a kid.

The competition usually includes only riding mowers -- correct? Wouldn't it be cool to have a category for non-self-propelled push mowers?
 
I don't do it but I find it very funny -- I'm sure that I'd be interested if I was a kid.

The competition usually includes only riding mowers -- correct? Wouldn't it be cool to have a category for non-self-propelled push mowers?

LOL LOL I can just see the group running around a track pushing their favorite mower, it's obvious the old Lawn-Boys you prefer would have a distinct advantage, being so much lighter than other push mowers...:thumbsup:
 
That would be an interesting one, even watching from the sidelines. However, I am trying to imagine all the categories we would have for these..does this type of racing happen often?
 
In the movie Gnomeo & Juliet (currently in theaters) the gnomes race lawnmowers in a big action sequence. In another scene one of the gnomes sneaks into a house (the human characters are rarely seen) and changes an online order for a sensible lawnmower to a 500-horsepower monster mower.

The gnomes are so small they can ride the self-propelled push mowers by standing on the decks. The mowers have a stylish look -- I liked that more than the look of the gnomes.

It's a funny movie but they changed the ending of Shakespeare's classic play.:mad:
 
When I used to mow for my dad my dog would race me. She would hunker down as I made my turn then fly past me then, I swear, turn and laugh at me. She was always quite proud of herself for being faster than me and my noisy monster.
 
Does anyone here do Lawnmower Racing? My kids are excited about trying this out and I need to do some tinkering with the mower they will use. Any ideas on what type of modifications would be good for this?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run without a battery. It'll be lighter by that much and the center of gravity will be lower.

OH, and air the tires to the maximum the track conditions will tolerate. Higher pressure rolls easier.
 
Now this would be something I would absolutely love to see. I bet it's a lot of fun to watch. I would probably be laughing the whole time. I didn't realize people did things like this. That's pretty neat!
 
Now this would be something I would absolutely love to see. I bet it's a lot of fun to watch. I would probably be laughing the whole time. I didn't realize people did things like this. That's pretty neat!

I could be wrong but I think the rules limit engines to a certain size or horsepower, from the pictures I have seen most of the lawn tractors used are older model MTD or Murray or Craftsman models with a pressed steel frame and lightweight construction, my '89 model JD 318 is only rated at 18 hp but weighs so much more than the lighter models (probably 300 pounds heavier) it would never be able to win...in an endurance race, maybe....:laughing:
 
Back
Top