Lawnboy 10343, not cutting off

EdBrown

Threads
I have a Lawnboy 10343, Green Series, 4.0 HP, SP, that runs very good. The coil had not been changed in many years, and I replaced it this year. It starts on 1 pull, every time.

However, when I do get it going now, IT WONT CUT OFF when I release the brake bale. I had thought maybe the wire from the ignition to the brake plate needed replacing, and I did that. However, it still wont cut off. Could it be some other problem than the brake system? Thanks very much.
Ed

impalass

Threads
I have a Lawnboy 10343, Green Series, 4.0 HP, SP, that runs very good. The coil had not been changed in many years, and I replaced it this year. It starts on 1 pull, every time.

However, when I do get it going now, IT WONT CUT OFF when I release the brake bale. I had thought maybe the wire from the ignition to the brake plate needed replacing, and I did that. However, it still wont cut off. Could it be some other problem than the brake system? Thanks very much.
Ed
1) don't discard the coil if the engine was running.
2) check both wires from the coil as you must have a bad connection in one of the wires.

EdBrown

Threads
1) don't discard the coil if the engine was running.
2) check both wires from the coil as you must have a bad connection in one of the wires.

Many thanks. It was slow starting with old coil, and I could not see any spark. Replaced with replacement coil, which fit onto the LB. I replaced the old wire with the new (used but good) one.

I think I will replace the old coil, and make darn sure there is no spark. It cut off like it should until I replaced the coil.

Thanks again for your help.
Ed