Lawnboy 10323, replacing transmission

EdBrown

Threads
I have a LB 10323 Duraforce that will not self-propell. I have a replacement for the transmission. I have not replaced this previously, and seeking advice.

It looks like I can remove the back wheels, replace the transmission and slip on the old belt (which is good).
Would this work, or would I have to take the engine off the frame?
Many thanks.
Ed

d_sharier

Threads
Just going off memory (which seems to fail me from time to time LOL) you shouldn't have to remove the engine to r&r the transmission. I usually remove the handle and cables. Then the transmission cover. Then removing the rear height adjusters allows the whole assembly to be removed from the bottom. Once removed start on each end of the axle. There is a series of washers, clips, gear, key, etc.etc.. I lay a rag on the ground and remove each piece, laying them in order on the rag so the order of installation stays the correct. After doing it a few dozen times, now I can just throw all of them in a bowl but I don't suggest that if this is the first one. Clean and inspect each piece and reassemble, then install.

EdBrown

Threads
Thanks very much for the info. I plan to do this as soon as we have a fairly nice day.
I shall be very careful to lay the pieces on a cloth, in the order they came off.
Thanks again, and even though I am not a small engine mechanic, I have learned several
things to do the Lawnboys, and believe that I can do this.

d_sharier

Threads
Yep, I am sure you can do it. I may have the service manual in a pdf from if you need it and if you need any parts let me know, I have at least 5 of those mowers laying around for parts. Just send me a private message.

beg

Threads
the first time I did this repair I found out you need a really good snap ring pliers not the cheap small one you get at Menards for 5 bucks.The job is fairly easy just keep the parts in order as you take them off.

EdBrown

Threads
Beg,

Thanks for your advice. I have a good pair of snap ring pliers, and will follow your advice and use them.
I have been waiting for a fairly clear and warm day, but not too many lately. Been COLD down south.
Thanks again.