Lawnboy 10301

EdBrown

Threads
I recently bought this Lawnboy 10301 and it started okay, but ran only a few seconds and cut off. I cleaned the carburetor, and thought this was problem. However, it still did the same. I installed a new coil, and thought this maybe be the problem, since it had the original coil installed. Also, the fuel line is ok.

Still, starts okay, but only runs a few seconds and cuts off. Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do further?
Was a nice looking LB, and got it for $40 off Craigslist. Want to keep it, but certainly need to get it running.
Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer. (This is a 1994 model).
Ed

lewb

Threads
Float out of adjustment, I had a similar issue, easiest way to set float with out a tool is to remove carb, remove the bowl, hold bowl with fingers, turn upside down and blow in gas inlet, should not be able to blow through, turn right side up and blow, should be like blowing through a straw, if you cannot or is very hard to blow through need to bend tab on float. This is a trial and error as it only needs to move a small amount. I would also replace the needle and valve before setting float. If this is not issue look at gas/air adjustment valve on side of carb, does not sound like this is your issue unless it is clogged, usually a surging or stuttering is the running issue when this is out of adjusment.

EdBrown

Threads
Lewb

You hit the nail on the head. I did what you said on the gas inlet, and it is running well now. I had cleaned the carburetor, and float in it looked ok ( I did not have an extra float anyway), and I had not checked the gas inlet as you stated. Thanks again for your help, and the old 10301 is running very well.
Ed