Buying Advice Lawn tractor for .54 acres?

Sorry back in them days I wasn't a Ford Mechanic. I was a Chevrolet mechanic Lets start with the Corvair, Vega, and then the great GM diesel they put in their cars. Yes they sold a lot of them and they put money in my pocket.
my dad was a GM mechanic,he LOVED the corvair and the vega was his favorite car to work on,he said he wouldn't own a vette if he had to work on it,...if this guy has a back yard with a fence maybe he should check into an F series JD or similar,nothing like mowing straight into a corner and not needing a walk behind to finish up all the corners.
 
This is a shame that this is said. As I understand the 100 series is made in the US at the John Deere Plant In Greeneville, TN. Just why can't made in America mean something any more. Yes that is the reason I drive a Toyota car because the last Chevrolet I own was a money pit in repairs. This is sad but true.
my company made the steel for their seat decks and hoods, jd is super picky too, our division lost their business but I think it just went to another division,
 
my company made the steel for their seat decks and hoods, jd is super picky too, our division lost their business but I think it just went to another division,

I think the JD L1xx series hood and fenders are made of plastic, at least the ones I saw at HD a while ago, thus no need for the steel your division makes.
 
Ya the john deere at lowes here has a fiberglass hood a briggs vanguard and the sticker says " not recommended for plowing "
 
I have had great luck with JD LA135 going on about 7 years with nothing but routine maint. I have a similar sized yard as the OP and well manicured grass. These cheapo tractors are great for flat properties under an acre in yards that are cared for. Anything that puts stress on the tranny like plowing, towing heavy loads, hills, etc will destroy these machines. As will running over obstructions like giant rocks, steel, multiple acres, etc. These are 'disposable' tractors. Parts are expensive and the engine is only rated for X amount of use.

I believe to get a solid JD garden tractor you need to spend 5k.
 
The Pinto 2.0 was pretty good. The Vega was sad. I had one. GM tried to mimic Porsche alloy in block where piston ran on the aluminum alloy. The fix was to sleeve with ...steel.
Ah the corvair...Looking back it was close to the first 911's, but as they say GM always killed their best young. Good rule of thumb IMO :Never buy any Motor Trend "car of the year."
 
Back
Top