Lawn soil pH is 6.0 o 7.0. Should it be treated ? With what and how much ?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / Lawn soil pH is 6.0 o 7.0. Should it be treated ? With what and how much ?
Finally purchased a pH meter. pH of all areas seems to be 6.0 to 7.0. The meter shows the "okay" green area as greater than 7.0.

What should be done if anything ?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
From Wikipeda "The optimum pH range for most plants is between 5.5 and 7.0,[1] however many plants have adapted to thrive at pH values outside this range."

MowerMark

Threads
From Wikipeda "The optimum pH range for most plants is between 5.5 and 7.0,[1] however many plants have adapted to thrive at pH values outside this range."

Thanks, but wonder why the meter is green between 7.0 and 9.0. Is grass different from standard plants ?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, but wonder why the meter is green between 7.0 and 9.0. Is grass different from standard plants ?

What brand model ph meter?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am guessing they are like other grasses listed. I am just guessing here.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Due respect...after reading extensively about pH meters and having a soil sample "tested" at a local garden shop I chickened out and had a soil lab test my soil. The pH came out 4.5 , way too acidic for grass. To fix it I have been applying lime this week with a (homeowner) Brinley spreader (35 ea -50 lb bags). I was ready to buy a pH meter , but the better ones seemed to cost $100 and required tricky calibration. There are lists of plants and their favorite pH on line. It is expensive to buy lime here. I found a place near Seattle selling it for $3.50 per bag, but I was afraid the freight would kill . The local feed store price is about $9/50 lb bag delivered. This is the pellet style for spreaders . I see pictures on line where large dump trucks spread the powdered stuff on farmland.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Added lime to much of the grass areas, after my last leaf cleanup some weeks ago. It is always a late fall activity, at least for me. Much denser and greener lawn areas is the result. The snow blade is now on my X575 and the deck is off. Settling in for a long winter.