Lawn Mower Problems

Hockeystar

Forum Newbie
I have a 10 year old Yard Works self propelled lawn mower with an oil pressure pump.

My problems started a while back when my lawn mower ran out of oil while running. I put some oil in but that wasn't enough so I put way too much oil in as I misjudge the dipstick. After this the lawn mower had a clanking sound when starting up and tons of white smoke coming out (Too rich oil to air ratio). Eventually as I finished cutting the lawn, the clanking sound and smoke subsided. I used the lawn mower for about 3 hours this way and with each cut the clanking was becoming less. Today was a routine day until I stopped the lawn mower to remove some objects on someone's lawn. Now the lawn mower won't crank and I suspect the engine seized up. Any suggestions I could use to try to save the lawnmower.

Thanks in advance,

David
 
If you can't pull the start cord, it probably is seized up. Drain the oil and see it is full of metal/aluminum. If it is head for your favorite store(Lowes, Home Depot etc.).
 
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum.
 
It looks like Yard Works mower is a cheaper type mower to buy. It looks like you will need a different engine in it so if you are thinking of repairs look for a used engine or a new Chinese made engine from Harbor freight. The money it would cost to fix the old engine would be as much as what you could buy a different mower.
 
If you can't pull the start cord, it probably is seized up. Drain the oil and see it is full of metal/aluminum. If it is head for your favorite store(Lowes, Home Depot etc.).

Sears by me had some good deals in mowers.
I bought a 22" craftsman with a briggs platinum, it's self propelled electric start with bagger and mulch kit for $240/:cool:

It does sound like it's seized, go check around for mowers onsale.
 
Back
Top