Lawn Help

atersda

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey guys new here to the forum! we recently bought a new home about 6 months ago in southeast Missouri. its an acre, its a mixture of Bermuda, rye, and fescue grasses. it did have a lot of dandelions but I've got them kind of under control (amnie400 24D) I'm still dealing with some white clover.....a guy I worked with talked me into applying urea (46-0-0) it shot it up good and also greened it up some....im wanting to know what direction I need to take to do fertilization(what to put down and when)? I have not done a soil sample....im not really wanting to use Scotts fertilizer due to the price.... any help would be much appreciated

thanks all!!

MowLife

Threads
A balanced fertilizer is what I use. 16-4-8 is my go to fertilizer. Greens up well and don’t grow too fast. I apply in the spring and the fall.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recommend taking 3-4 samples from different areas to be placed in a jar to determine your soil structure then take that to your county extension service for evaluation and recommendations. There are also test kits to be purchased locally to do your own testing. A lab technician I visited with mentioned the test kits are basically the same tests the lab would preform.

Attachments

• soil test chart 4-17-09.jpg
    soil test chart 4-17-09.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 8
  • soil test humus 4-17-09.jpg
    soil test humus 4-17-09.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7

Nick Howardway

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all!

I am new in this amazing group! My name is Nick, I am pretty fresh in all gardening and lawn, but loving this information from everyone.

I trying to learn more about gardening and in general, with the hope that I can start offering these services in the future. I really hope I will find lots of smart and energetic people here, and we will exchange lots of knowledge.

Thanks all - keep the info flowing. :)

Nick H.

peggking23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are a few tips for soil fertilizing-
1. Spring is the best time to fertilize the lawn.
2. Start fertilizing when the soil temperature is near about 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. For proper lawn care use organic fertilizers.
4. Conduct a soil test to identify a nutrient level of the soil.
5. Buy a suitable fertilizer for the soil.
6. Spread the proper amount of fertilizer evenly over the area and mix it with the soil up to 3-4 inches.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's an even better tip about lawn fertilization:

It is completely dependent upon the type of grass you have and geographical area in which you live.