Lawn Boy 8241AE

Hayabusa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings to all.

I'm breaking my cherry, as this is my first post.

I recently scored a Lawn Boy 8241AE. It is a F-series engine, electric start only, self propelled, capstan drive, single speed model. I paid $30.00 for it and that included the original owners manual, the original Lawn Boy battery charger and several receipts for repairs and maintenance that was performed over the years. Cosmetically, it appears to be in excellent condition. I have yet to start it, but the motor turns freely and seems to have good compression. I am presently charging the battery but I have a feeling I will need to purchase a new one.

I have a couple of questions regarding this model:

1) Has anyone ever converted or adapted a pull-start on to this model? If so, can the electric starter be retained with the manual pull-start?

2) Will other F-series fuel tanks fit on this model? There is nothing wrong with the existing tank, I just like the way other F-series tanks look.

Looking forward to sharing on this forum. Have a great day!

Regards,

Jim

turfboy1997

Threads
Greetings to all.

I'm breaking my cherry, as this is my first post.

I recently scored a Lawn Boy 8241AE. It is a F-series engine, electric start only, self propelled, capstan drive, single speed model. I paid $30.00 for it and that included the original owners manual, the original Lawn Boy battery charger and several receipts for repairs and maintenance that was performed over the years. Cosmetically, it appears to be in excellent condition. I have yet to start it, but the motor turns freely and seems to have good compression. I am presently charging the battery but I have a feeling I will need to purchase a new one.

I have a couple of questions regarding this model:

1) Has anyone ever converted or adapted a pull-start on to this model? If so, can the electric starter be retained with the manual pull-start?

2) Will other F-series fuel tanks fit on this model? There is nothing wrong with the existing tank, I just like the way other F-series tanks look.

Looking forward to sharing on this forum. Have a great day!

Regards,

Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim! I recommend you go on ebay and find a top style cup start from a gold series. This way you can save the electric start components and still use it if you want. The mod # references for your top style cup start are 10415, 10515, 10520, 10545, 10518, 10546, any of the 1988-1993 supreme models that have an "S" as the first letter of the model number.

As for the gas tank the only difference in using the other gas tank is that you have to have the white spacer to use the steel deck gas tank and shroud.

Hayabusa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Turfboy 1997.

Thanks for the suggestion.

So this is how I am going to do it.

I will be sourcing parts from within the "F-Series" OMC produced motors to attempt this modification.

I am purchasing a Starter Base (Lawn Boy P/N 684570) and a Starter Assembly (Lawn Boy P/N 684622) from a 1991 Lawn Boy model # S21ZSM. These two parts will mount directly to the top of my existing fuel tank without any modifications. Now in order for this to work on my mower, I will also need a starter hub, aka, the small cup that sits on top of the flywheel. Since my 1984 Lawn Boy model # 8241AE only came with electric start, there is no hub mounted on the flywheel. The 1984 Lawn Boy non-electric start model #8241 uses a side mount recoil pull start that mounts in the space occupied by the electric starter. If I use the side mount pull start from the model 8241, then I would have to remove the electric starter on my model # 8241AE. So, this is where the fun begins. I am purchasing a hub from a 1991 Lawn Boy model #S21ZSM (Lawn Boy P/N 612949 ) and I am hopefully going to be able to adapt it to the flywheel of the model # 8241AE. The crankshafts and the flywheels are slightly different, but my good friend "Rube Goldberg" assures me that I should be able to make it work. As soon as I receive the parts, I am going to begin my journey. I'll be sure to photograph my work and post pics. If all goes well, then I will have the ability to start the mower the old fashioned way and / or the lazy man's way.

Thanks for your help. Wish me luck.

Jim

turfboy1997

Threads
Hi Turfboy 1997.

Thanks for the suggestion.

So this is how I am going to do it.

I will be sourcing parts from within the "F-Series" OMC produced motors to attempt this modification.

I am purchasing a Starter Base (Lawn Boy P/N 684570) and a Starter Assembly (Lawn Boy P/N 684622) from a 1991 Lawn Boy model # S21ZSM. These two parts will mount directly to the top of my existing fuel tank without any modifications. Now in order for this to work on my mower, I will also need a starter hub, aka, the small cup that sits on top of the flywheel. Since my 1984 Lawn Boy model # 8241AE only came with electric start, there is no hub mounted on the flywheel. The 1984 Lawn Boy non-electric start model #8241 uses a side mount recoil pull start that mounts in the space occupied by the electric starter. If I use the side mount pull start from the model 8241, then I would have to remove the electric starter on my model # 8241AE. So, this is where the fun begins. I am purchasing a hub from a 1991 Lawn Boy model #S21ZSM (Lawn Boy P/N 612949 ) and I am hopefully going to be able to adapt it to the flywheel of the model # 8241AE. The crankshafts and the flywheels are slightly different, but my good friend "Rube Goldberg" assures me that I should be able to make it work. As soon as I receive the parts, I am going to begin my journey. I'll be sure to photograph my work and post pics. If all goes well, then I will have the ability to start the mower the old fashioned way and / or the lazy man's way.

Thanks for your help. Wish me luck.

Jim

Exactly what i was trying to explain. it will work perfect! I used to do it to all my electric start only to get them running until i worked all the bugs out of the electric start components.

netster53

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the forum Jim! I recommend you go on ebay and find a top style cup start from a gold series. This way you can save the electric start components and still use it if you want. The mod # references for your top style cup start are 10415, 10515, 10520, 10545, 10518, 10546, any of the 1988-1993 supreme models that have an "S" as the first letter of the model number.

As for the gas tank the only difference in using the other gas tank is that you have to have the white spacer to use the steel deck gas tank and shroud.

This is exactly the info I have been searching for. Thanks a million