Lawn Boy 6301

javjacob

Threads
I bought this Lawn Boy 6301 today. It runs good but the deck needs repainted and some overspray cleaned up. It has a mulcher plate and a bagger. Is there a plate I can buy for side discharge also? I will post some picks of it the seller had posted. He said he bought it from the original owner and believed it was a 1983 model? lawn boy.jpg lawn boy2.jpg

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would this be the part I need for side discharge? It needs to be green instead of black though. https://www.partstree.com/parts/lawn-boy/parts/95-7052/

Those covers are widely interchangeable but, oddly, that page from partstree doesn't list many of the models that I would expect to see. That is not a hard part to find in any case.

It wouldn't hurt to ask the guy you bought the mower from, He might have one lying around.

I'm also curious about the original owner of the mower: was it a regular homeowner, as opposed to a lawn care pro?

javjacob

Threads
He didn't say but the mower is in great shape and runs really good so I assume it wasn't used commercially or it would have a lot more wear and tear I would imagine. He did say he was an older guy.

javjacob

Threads
I got a question on mix. I use Stihl synthetic oil for my chainsaw and weedeater. I assume the Stihl oil is just as good as the Lawn Boy oil, also I have never seen LB oil for sale anywhere local. What ratio should I mix it? 32-1 like it says on the gas cap or 40-1 since the new oils are improved? It seems mix standards keep going leaner and leaner but I'm thinking some of that is just to keep the EPA happy even if it's at the cost of our top ends. My Stihl weedeater actually recommends 50-1.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
He didn't say but the mower is in great shape and runs really good so I assume it wasn't used commercially or it would have a lot more wear and tear I would imagine. He did say he was an older guy.

The original owner would almost certainly have to be 50+ if the mower was new in 1983. I was just curious about where it's been all these years. It's a great find.

I'll bet you can find a green cover plate (I think that's what they're called) on eBay if you can't get one locally.

About which oil to use and the mix ratio... That issue has been debated to death on this forum. I'm finished with it. :confused2:

Phototone

Threads
On the oil ratio. You need to remember that ALL THE LUBRICATION the whole inside of the motor gets is the little bit of oil that is mixed with the gas. 32-1 ratio with good quality 2-cycle oil will not smoke when the engine is warm and running and will keep the engine happy. These mowers were designed for 32-1 mix. Lawnboy marketed 2-cycle mowers up until the EPA stopped them, I think circa 2006. I don't think they ever recommended anything but 32-1 for their mowers with roller bearings. (Older circa 1950's and 1960's with sleeve bearings needed 16-1 mix) A late-model Lawnboy is jetted very lean anyway, and that means minimal gas/oil gets into the engine. Why risk anything? I use Lawnboy 2-cycle oil, which I get at the local ACE hardware store. They have improved this oil 3 times over the years, but never changed the ratio. For extra goodness, in addition to the 32-1 mix of 2-cycle oil and gas, I add a dollop of Marvel Mystery Oil to my gas/oil mix. This helps keep carbon build-up down and helps lubricate upper cylinder walls.

javjacob

Threads
I found a green one on eBay and bought it. The part number was right... Should be here before the weekend. I will mix the gas/oil 32-1 to be on the safe side then. It's always better to go too rich than too lean.

javjacob

Threads
Got the part in for the side discharge and it works great. This thing was a joy to use

javjacob

Threads
I stripped it down and repainted the deck since the new paint job it had wasn't very good and I got all the over spray cleaned off everything. It looks a thousand times better. :thumbsup: You can also see my S21ZPR in the background in 2 of the pics, it will be getting the deck repainted also.

lawn boy 6301 1.jpg lawn boy 6301 2.jpg lawn boy 6301 3.jpg