Law boy using lots of oil

Lour1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys. I have a 1994 lawn boy with tecumseh 4.5 horsepower motor. I used it today and had to put in almost a quart of oil to finish cutting. I can’t see any leaks and I don’t see oil burning smoke out of the muffler. This just started today. I don’t know where the oil is going. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What's your spark plug look like?

Lour1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m not sure. I’m going to pull it out tomorrow. But to use all of that oil in one cutting I would think that it would if fouled the plug. It still runs real good

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only two ways for oil to get out of the engine--leaks or the exhaust. I don't see how it could use that much oil and not smoke unless it's leaking. The spark plug should tell you if the oil is going out the exhaust.

Lour1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Only two ways for oil to get out of the engine--leaks or the exhaust. I don't see how it could use that much oil and not smoke unless it's leaking. The spark plug should tell you if the oil is going out the exhaust.
Hi guys. I pulled the plug today and it’s just a little oil soaked. I checked the oil level today and now it’s way over full. I don’t know where the oil was hiding because it wasn’t on the dip stick. What do you guys think? Time to replace engine or not? Please let me know. Thank you

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drain the oil back to the correct level and mow some more with it. What do you have to lose?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Getting gas draining down into the oil sump?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drain the oil back to the correct level and mow some more with it. What do you have to lose?
This is bad advice. Don't pay any attention to this guy. CHANGE the oil, making sure you refill with the correct quantity, then mow some more with it.

100 td

Threads
Well by me "that guy" is OK, because he's come back and modified his thoughts, but his firsts thoughts aren't that bad, because oil was low, and a "nearly quart" added, which is a good fill, so I doubt there was any excess fuel flooding into the sump. But of course his second statement is the best thing to do. Start a fresh with the correct amount and GRADE of oil and see how you go after a run next time. Be sure to let it cool down on level concrete whilst you have lunch and check it's level.
I noticed the level down a bit on my 35 year old 4hp briggs the other day and recall topping it up once recently, so I had a decent look underneath when I washed it, it appeared the crankshaft seal was wet, so likely it's spraying it out whilst I mow, as well as burning a little. So if you don't have a win in finding where it's going, (if it disappears) do a degrease underneath and see what you find.

khr76

Threads
Did yu check spark plug or any kind of oil leaking ?
If you have old oil you need to change it every 25 hours for push mowers and 50 hours for riding lawnmowers