Last effort before service center Intek 20hp V Twin

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mike, I know it's frustrating, MANY of us have been there, why do you think this site exists ?? it has to be something we've overlooked, something simple .. are you absolutely positive you have the governor adjusted and tightened correctly, ?? have you tried to push on the governor arm with your finger to see if it will increase RPMs ?? I hate to give you more vids but it might spark a thought, from memory of something.. as usual, keep us posted.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOoArROpM_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi3uEdiRD2A

Threads
Mike, I know it's frustrating, MANY of us have been there, why do you think this site exists ?? it has to be something we've overlooked, something simple .. are you absolutely positive you have the governor adjusted and tightened correctly, ?? have you tried to push on the governor arm with your finger to see if it will increase RPMs ?? I hate to give you more vids but it might spark a thought, from memory of something.. as usual, keep us posted.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOoArROpM_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi3uEdiRD2A

I have the governor adjusted and tightened correctly. Of that I am certain. I was very careful to follow the instructions from multiple sites when I did it. But, I will triple check it again. Havent tried moving the governor arm yet but will later. Gotta watch my baby boy for now while the wife goes shopping. I was actually wondering I am experiencing the same problem as the guy in the second video you sent, with the governor counterweights sticking. They seem to work fine when I installed the gear but maybe they are sticking now. Shrugs. Just hate to open the engine AGAIN. But, if I have to then I have to. I have a tachometer coming (rural areas suck since most of what you need is only available by order). Maybe I will wait until I can check the RPMs. A friend gave me a leakdown tester as a gift. Might go ahead and use it. Couldnt hurt.

BTW: What would it mean if I do increase the RPMs by pushing on the governor arm? Maybe a dumb question but, ya know

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
PATIENCE Mike .. PATIENCE & Persistence !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

Threads
  • / Last effort before service center Intek 20hp V Twin
PATIENCE Mike .. PATIENCE & Persistence !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

Success! Although it requires a bit more tweaking (setting the RPMs and such), I finally manged to get my mower to respond to the throttle control. I went over the linkages again and discovered I had the throttle cable set wrong. Hey, I am not mechanically inclined and this was my first attempt at fixing an engine so don't be too harsh on me :)

It starts great, runs smoothly, and has no surging. I think that problem was due to the welch plug. It appeared to be leaking and it popped out what seemed to me way too easily. Havent tried the mower with a load yet because it's raining here but will test it soon enough. Hopefully, all will go well.

I am still concerned about the engine running apparently much hotter than I remember after just a few moments use. I'm wondering if that might be because of the fuel I am using. I got a can of SEF non-ethanol small engine fuel. Its high octane. I'm just a baby grease monkey so what do I know? Anyway, some progress at last! Time for a celebratory beer. Hey, it's 5 o'clock somewhere right?:licking:

Threads
Mike I'll be the first to drink to your success......... I know for a fact those carbs are finicky... Like I told you from the get go clean is not clean till that plug comes out then a good soaking then a good spray job..... Oh the wire passing thru the holes also.........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Congrats Mike !! I'm hopin when you do a final test (under load) .. all is well, I suspected you had the throttle cable in the wrong hole on the throttle bracket, ( am I correct ..?? ) and about running HOT... have you removed the engine shrouds to clean the cooling fins,.. correct oil level,.. the flywheel "vane" linkage hooked up & working correctly ..??? Lets NOT cook an engine at this point !! ..:thumbsup:

Threads
Congrats Mike !! I'm hopin when you do a final test (under load) .. all is well, I suspected you had the throttle cable in the wrong hole on the throttle bracket, ( am I correct ..?? ) and about running HOT... have you removed the engine shrouds to clean the cooling fins,.. correct oil level,.. the flywheel "vane" linkage hooked up & working correctly ..??? Lets NOT cook an engine at this point !! ..:thumbsup:

Success!!! Today was the first chance to mess with my mower since my last post. I fine tuned the linkage, used my new tachometer to set the idle speed, tightened the belt, and...it worked!!! It starts up on the first turn of the key, idles smoothly, and runs perfectly when the blades are engaged. I'm still thinking it seems to be running hot but I will address that later. At least it is working now!!! Thanks to everyone who offered their opinions, comments, and suggestions. I've learned a lot and now want to fix something else. BTW: to anyone in the hurricane path, stay safe.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Success!!! Today was the first chance to mess with my mower since my last post. I fine tuned the linkage, used my new tachometer to set the idle speed, tightened the belt, and...it worked!!! It starts up on the first turn of the key, idles smoothly, and runs perfectly when the blades are engaged. I'm still thinking it seems to be running hot but I will address that later. At least it is working now!!! Thanks to everyone who offered their opinions, comments, and suggestions. I've learned a lot and now want to fix something else. BTW: to anyone in the hurricane path, stay safe.

Stay in touch Mike ... :thumbsup:

Threads
Stay in touch Mike ... :thumbsup:

Good morning! I finally had the chance to give my mower a full workout yesterday and spent it mowing my entire several acre property. It worked great, even cutting through the thickest grass with ease. It seems my concerns about it running hot were unfounded. It did get hot, of course, but operated even better once it warmed up. Now to diy a grass catcher...

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good morning! I finally had the chance to give my mower a full workout yesterday and spent it mowing my entire several acre property. It worked great, even cutting through the thickest grass with ease. It seems my concerns about it running hot were unfounded. It did get hot, of course, but operated even better once it warmed up. Now to diy a grass catcher...

Don't forget your regular maintenance now Mike, stay on top of things, be sure to keep the fuel system CLEAN .. and check your gas-can for dirt/water occasionally and remember... Rust.... NEVER SLEEPS !! .. :thumbsup: