large back wheel sizing

LandN

Threads
has anyone really compared the difference between the advantages of the large size back wheels of a push mower vs. the smaller traditional wheels on push mowers if there is a big difference then i think more and more mowers should come standard with larger back wheels:smile:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
has anyone really compared the difference between the advantages of the large size back wheels of a push mower vs. the smaller traditional wheels on push mowers if there is a big difference then i think more and more mowers should come standard with larger back wheels:smile:

Back in 1990 I converted my Craftsman 4 hp self propelled to large rear wheels, supposedly the change would offer easier handling and better stability over a bumpy lawn (which parts of mine were) but I honestly noticed no difference. Have not had another one since.

GOOD POST, nice to see SOMEBODY carrying the ball here....:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

There is a big difference, especially on a steep bank or in a ditch... larger wheels on the back work very well...
They are considerably more expensive and the mounting points are obviously higher so that makes it necessary to alter the design some what just to accommodate them... I f you have hard to get to areas that really give you a work out with a regular push mower, you will find the tall wheeled push mower to be a lot easier... :smile:KennyV