LA150 Reverse Switch acting strange

fergy59

Threads
OK, so I have mowed forward and reverse (with button pressed) for years, no problem. Lately when pressing the button, it may or may not let me mow in reverse. Saturday it just stopped working so I had to disengage the PTO every time I backed up or the engine would die. Decided to bypass the switch. Pulled the plug and attached a jumper (just a wire with a blade connector on each end). Mower was dead, no start, no clicks nothing. Pulled the jumper off and mower started right up. I didn't mess with any pedals, brake was on, just opened throttle and choke. What in the world would make the jumper prevent the mower from turning on?
Side note, I tested the switch with an ohm meter and it tested good but I may still replace it since they're inexpensive. But I'm curious what could cause the mower to not start with the jumper attached?
And, I've heard of a switch on the tranny that also acts as a reverse kill switch? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
OK, so I have mowed forward and reverse (with button pressed) for years, no problem. Lately when pressing the button, it may or may not let me mow in reverse. Saturday it just stopped working so I had to disengage the PTO every time I backed up or the engine would die. Decided to bypass the switch. Pulled the plug and attached a jumper (just a wire with a blade connector on each end). Mower was dead, no start, no clicks nothing. Pulled the jumper off and mower started right up. I didn't mess with any pedals, brake was on, just opened throttle and choke. What in the world would make the jumper prevent the mower from turning on?
Side note, I tested the switch with an ohm meter and it tested good but I may still replace it since they're inexpensive. But I'm curious what could cause the mower to not start with the jumper attached?
And, I've heard of a switch on the tranny that also acts as a reverse kill switch? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

The RIO (reverse implement operation) switch is intermittently not working even though tested with multimeter. If it is stuck in position that allows you to reverse with blades on, then the mower won’t start. In this case, option other than replacing switch and installing jumper would be to remove switch and join two wires together permanently with solder or wire connector.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks in advance!
I believe that switch in the open position is run and closed is kill it . The experience i've had a lawn tractor can be wired to kill the mag or not kill the mag in either position , depending on the wiring design and application . ie - the seat switch is open when off the tractor and that kills the mag and with continuity it's allowed to run .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Pulled the plug and attached a jumper (just a wire with a blade connector on each end). Mower was dead, no start, no clicks nothing. Pulled the jumper off and mower started right up. I didn't mess with any pedals, brake was on, just opened throttle and choke. What in the world would make the jumper prevent the mower from turning on?
Nothing in the circuit that normally would cause a completely dead mower. Its just a grounding circuit for the Reverse inhibit relay which in turns ground the ignition coils via the seat, PTO, and reverse switch on the transaxle. Now of course someone else could had screwed with the wiring or another switch was not set correctly.

Now if even the fuel solenoid didn't click then you might have a loose connection and it reconnected when move the wiring harness a second time.

1710245501585.png1710245542863.png

fergy59

Threads
Thank you for all the replies! I pulled off the relay and tested it and it is working fine. None of the wiring looks as if it has been modified or messed with. I tried starting the mower with the reverse switch pressed and it started no problem. That would be the same as having the jumper attached, so I am baffled at that. But, since the switch seems to get wacky while I mow and suddenly not work I ordered a new switch to see if it solves that problem at least. I'll try again with the jumper and see if it still effects starting and check back.
Thanks again for all the help!

fergy59

Threads
New RIO (reverse implement operation) switch installed and I mowed the entire half acre with no issues.