L130 - Deck Pulley Replacement and Melting Fuse Question

Tony S

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / L130 - Deck Pulley Replacement and Melting Fuse Question
After all these years using the mower this is the first time I need to replace pullies/bearings. Can't seem to find a good spec sheet for the deck with part numbers for an L130 John Deere riding mower to be 100% sure which way is right. The new kit I purchased online came with 2 small and 1 large pulley. However, my deck came with 2 large and 1 small from the factory. It's around a 2001-2003 L130 and I've had it since new.
Q - How can I find out and be sure which way it should be - 2 large and 1 small pulley vs 1 large and 2 small pullies?

Another recent problem I started having after all these years - The deck fuse is getting way too hot and it melts the fuse and the fuse holder. I've replaced them once and I noticed the other day it has done it again.
Q - WHY would this happen?

Thank you,
Tony

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are two different deck configurations depending on serial number of the mower. Since 1 shows 3 different idler pulleys, but one of the 3 subs to the same as another so basically making it 2 small and 1 large. Now I was looking at the deck rebuild kit and shows the GY20996 for the 2002-2004 and the GY2099X48B for the 2005 But all the idler pulleys one way or the other sub to the same 3 pulleys with the belt being different between the years.

The fuse melting would be resistance in that area. So corrosion on the fuse or the fuse holder would result in the fuse melting. But also keep into mind that the electric clutch could have a partial short causing excessive current draw leading to that issue also if that is the weak link.

Tony S

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are two different deck configurations depending on serial number of the mower. Since 1 shows 3 different idler pulleys, but one of the 3 subs to the same as another so basically making it 2 small and 1 large. Now I was looking at the deck rebuild kit and shows the GY20996 for the 2002-2004 and the GY2099X48B for the 2005 But all the idler pulleys one way or the other sub to the same 3 pulleys with the belt being different between the years.

The fuse melting would be resistance in that area. So corrosion on the fuse or the fuse holder would result in the fuse melting. But also keep into mind that the electric clutch could have a partial short causing excessive current draw leading to that issue also if that is the weak link.

Thank you so much. It never has before - but with age (wear and tear) - would turning the deck switch on and off and on again during cutting cause this melting issue? Or could the electric clutch be showing signs of wear like a starter and need more AMPs to get it going now that it is 20 years old or so and do the switch the way I do cause this melting issue?

This is the kit I got form Amazon.

8TEN Deck Rebuild Kit Blade Spindle Idler Screw for John Deere 48 inch L120 L130 GX20305 GX20250​

If I'm understanding you correctly - I should be able to still use this kit as I did get the belt with it for the different pulley combination.

Tony

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
PTO clutches bearings do wear out causing the rotor to start wearing the protective coating of the electric coil as it starts rubbing on the coil causing shorts and clutches can also just start shorting out from age.

Normally these clutches don't pull more 7 amps max with 3-5 amps being a norm. But I have seen them to pulling over 16+ amps and still be working; although, they start melting down wiring harnesses.

Tony S

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you again. I guess I'll go ahead and install the kit I have and at the end of the season I'll replace the clutch - when I do other maintenance and repairs. The old girl is over 20 now with no repairs or real issues until now. LOL

Take care,
Tony