Repairs Kubota ZD21 right gearbox failed

New Zealand

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there, New here so see what happens when I post a tread....
I owe a ZD21 2002 and it has done 1700 hours now. The PTO has been replaced $ 4000, had some repairs done to the deck, mainly bearings etc. $ 1000. Had some maintenace/welding issues, due to rust to the deck (pressed deck). All with all it is getting a expensive mower... Now the right side gearbox of the skid stearing has gave way and needs replacing, estimated cost $ 4000. Not to mention how far the left side might be....
Does anyone has experiences like mine. Any idears. What would you think: repair or not repair and buy an other mower.
Looking forward to your feedback.
Bert Schuurkamp, Auckland, New Zealand (land where the grass is always green..)

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
For me it would depend on how much I paid for the mower in the first place.

I don't imagine it cost more than $9000 to purchase so would you really want to spend that total amount all together on repairs?

Then again, if you like the machine it's maybe better to stick with the devil you know.

In the short run it would be cheaper to repair it but in the long run you don't want to end up spending the same amount as it would cost to buy another new mower.

Just my :2cents:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

I don't imagine it cost more than $9000 to purchase so would you really want to spend that total amount all together on repairs?

Then again, if you like the machine it's maybe better to stick with the devil you know.

In the short run it would be cheaper to repair it but in the long run you don't want to end up spending the same amount as it would cost to buy another new mower.

I am not familiar with a ZD21. I have a ZG 222 that is less than a year old. If it is 11 years old and it is going to cost that much to fix it I would see if the dealer would give me any kind of value and trade it in.

The Kubota is a top of the line machine. Many of the guys here that cut grass for a living run them with little to no problems.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I work at a Kubota dealership and we have not seen any major problems with the ZD21. Has been a good unit for us, but I did some research on that model and ran across this interesting post on another site. After reading it, I am going to do two things. First I suggest you talk to your dealer and see if they will help after you show them a copy of this article. Second, when I get back to work (laid off right now) I will be discussing this with my tech service guy and see if I can get a little info from Kubota's side. With that being said, I would not repair this unit and trade it in, at a different dealership. I don't think you have been treated fairly by your present dealership and have been over charged for some of your repairs. Just my opinion, which many on this forum say isn't worth much.

ZD21 Transmission Failures

New Zealand

Forum Newbie
Threads

You would be suppriced what they charge here for Kubota mowers. I paid $ 25.000 for it 11 years ago NEW, done only 1700hours. There is only one Kubota dealer that has the monopoly, all other repair/service centres have to get their parts through them. I know... It stinks! I am seriously consider to buy a ZD331-60 new or second hand in the US and have it shipped to New Zealand. It probely saves me 30 to 40% including all cost for shipping/customs/duties.

New Zealand

Forum Newbie
Threads
I work at a Kubota dealership and we have not seen any major problems with the ZD21. Has been a good unit for us, but I did some research on that model and ran across this interesting post on another site. After reading it, I am going to do two things. First I suggest you talk to your dealer and see if they will help after you show them a copy of this article. Second, when I get back to work (laid off right now) I will be discussing this with my tech service guy and see if I can get a little info from Kubota's side. With that being said, I would not repair this unit and trade it in, at a different dealership. I don't think you have been treated fairly by your present dealership and have been over charged for some of your repairs. Just my opinion, which many on this forum say isn't worth much.

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a link to that article you mentioned. Also do you know where to get parts from in the US or places where to buy good second hand Kubota ZD331/parts.

Thanks, Bert

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry to hear that you have a dealer monopoly over there. Click on this link for the article.

I know it is a long shot, but you might try to contact Kubota customer service directly and in a nice way explain your experiences with them. You shouldn't sugar coat it, but being honest but firm, may help your cause. Explain you are not happy with your experience, but don't burn your dealer bridge, but sometimes a little heat gets them moving. I've even had people use sites like this forum, to let the company know they are trying to solve their problems in a variety of ways, but telling people why they are displeased with this product.

On to your question about parts, I would start searching the web for dealers who would ship parts. May be a little tough to find dealers who will work with the money exchange, but they are out there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I forgot to add that we have members in your part of the world, who may have ideas on where to shop in your part of paradise. May have to start a new thread to see if anyone down there can help.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
I say it maybe time just to get a new one of some kind like a Toro or a Husqavarna :thumbsup:

5star

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: ZD21 AND ZD28 OWNERS THE SECCRET IS NOT OUT.......I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING

I HAD THE OPPERTUNITY TO SPEND 3300 DOLLARS ON ZD21 AND IN DOING SO I FOUND OUT THAT KUBOTA KEEPS A SECRET ABOUT THE MACHINES .....AND THAT IS THAT THE MACHINE WILL PREFORM FERFICT ON RELATITIVLY FLAT TERRAN BUT I WAS ASKED BY THE DEALER IF I LIVE ON A HILLY LANDSCAPE ......WHICH I DO ........NOW THE SECRET........I SHOULD HAVE INSTALLED A KIT TO COMBAT THAT PROBLEM....THE KIT THAT IS OFFERED BY KUBOTA.....IS A EXTERNAL TANK THAT SUPPLIES THE DRIVE MOTORS AND KEEPS THEM FROM STARVING FOR OIL...............FOR ALL OF YOU THAT CUT ON A HILL YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS AT SOME POINT BY THE WAY MY MACHINE HAS 400 HOURS ON IT .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Hi there, New here so see what happens when I post a tread....
I owe a ZD21 2002 and it has done 1700 hours now. The PTO has been replaced $ 4000, had some repairs done to the deck, mainly bearings etc. $ 1000. Had some maintenace/welding issues, due to rust to the deck (pressed deck). All with all it is getting a expensive mower... Now the right side gearbox of the skid stearing has gave way and needs replacing, estimated cost $ 4000. Not to mention how far the left side might be....
Does anyone has experiences like mine. Any idears. What would you think: repair or not repair and buy an other mower.
Looking forward to your feedback.
Bert Schuurkamp, Auckland, New Zealand (land where the grass is always green..)