Kubota experts needed

mystreba

Threads
All -

Do we have any Kubota owners/experts on the boards here? I'm looking to buy a used tractor in a week, and I'm overwhelmed with the number of models out there. TG series. G series. GR series. And within each model type, there are many choices as well.

Please see my other post for requirements -- click here

Thanks!!

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I have moved this thread to the Kubota forum where it should get some additional looks from the Kubota crowd. :thumbsup:

mystreba

Threads
I have moved this thread to the Kubota forum where it should get some additional looks from the Kubota crowd. :thumbsup:

Excellent - thanks. Shoulda looked before I leaped...

slc10844

Threads
All -

Do we have any Kubota owners/experts on the boards here? I'm looking to buy a used tractor in a week, and I'm overwhelmed with the number of models out there. TG series. G series. GR series. And within each model type, there are many choices as well.

Please see my other post for requirements -- click here

Thanks!!

I'm no expert, but have you looked at the Kubota web site? I think the letters designate between gas and diesel models. JD confuses the heck out of me with all of their numbers and letters. If you check the Kubota web site it will give you a general idea of the different series.

mystreba

Threads
I'm no expert, but have you looked at the Kubota web site? I think the letters designate between gas and diesel models. JD confuses the heck out of me with all of their numbers and letters. If you check the Kubota web site it will give you a general idea of the different series.

Yes, and the confusion is worse when you buy used because often the models you are looking to purchase are no longer manufactured. For example, the G and TG series are not offered for sale on the Kubota website that I can see. They list the GR series as "Garden Tractor", 20-21 HP, so that helps. But I was hoping someone out there could look at my requirements and steer me to the most appropriate model out of the three: G, GR, TG.

thanks

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Well, for starters... what size lawn do you have? What are you using to mow it currently, and what features/size/power factors do you like/dislike about your current mower? How much is your budget? Are you fixed on new or used, or flexible?

mystreba

Threads
Well, for starters... what size lawn do you have? What are you using to mow it currently, and what features/size/power factors do you like/dislike about your current mower? How much is your budget? Are you fixed on new or used, or flexible?

My original post had a link to my requirements, but I'll post them here to make it easier. Budget is ~$4k. For that amount, given my requirements, I'm looking to buy something used.

My last tractor was a Craftsman GT5000 which performed well but died prematurely. Interim tractor was a big-box Husq that wasn't nearly up to the task.

I have 1.75 acres. One acre is turf lawn (euphemism for "mostly dirt"). This is twisty-turny around trees, kids and other landscaping obstacles. There are surface roots that occasionally require raising the deck a bit.

The other .75 acre is field converted to lawn - it's thick, dense and grows fast. It is more-or-less straight runs, but it's a bear to mow. Mid-season, I generally have to mow weekly. If I let it go, I'm hatin' life and kicking the dog. It needs a minimum 54" deck and enough power to throw some grass.

I have numerous opportunities for ground-contact - tilling, plowing, aerating, etc.. I say "opportunities" because I lack attachments.

What I do have is a dumper cart, and I use that a LOT. Hauling yard debris, dirt, stone, concrete, construction materials, etc...

With all the stone and dirt I move, I'd LOVE to have something that could load or push, but the better half of this operation (trust me, I'm being kind) doesn't want to spend that sort of money.

slc10844

Threads
Yes, and the confusion is worse when you buy used because often the models you are looking to purchase are no longer manufactured. For example, the G and TG series are not offered for sale on the Kubota website that I can see. They list the GR series as "Garden Tractor", 20-21 HP, so that helps. But I was hoping someone out there could look at my requirements and steer me to the most appropriate model out of the three: G, GR, TG.

thanks

Sorry it wasn't much help. Kubota doesn't seem to have the following in the garden/lawn tractor arena that JD or Cub has. OrangeTractorTalks has an extensive break down of Kubota tractors except for the l&g series. Maybe someone else will be able to help you out.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Ok, well for starters, the G-series are going to be the "garden tractors" and the T-series are going to be the "lawn tractors."

Based on your requirements I would be looking at a G-series diesel. On the used market, the most popular option from the G-series is going to be the G1800, made from the late-80s to late-90s. It has a 16HP Kubota diesel (Kubota diesels are going to be rock-solid in terms of engine reliability), 4-wheel steer (I can't remember if it was optional or standard but most I've seen have 4WS) and hydrostatic drive. Deck sizes are going to be 48" or 54". The G1800 can be found for $2000-$3500 depending on hours and condition. Also the G1700 (smaller) or G1900 (bigger) would be great options with similar features and prices.

Another option is a GR series which is going to be the newer version of the G-series. But you're unlikely to find one under $4k since there aren't many on the used market, and when you can find them they're going to be $5-$7k depending on age and hours.

While this might not help you find a machine local to you, check out the listings on tractor house or other tractor classified sites... will give you some ideas of values and what to expect. But ultimately it will come down to local availability in your area... and that may sway you from a Kubota to a John Deere, or the other way around.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I will add that I never thought I would find 4WS to be useful---until I got a mower that had it. Then I didn't want another one without it!