Kohler twin oil pressure

grpascott

Threads
Thank you Sessman. I've seen estimates from 10 to 40 psi. Nothing specific is motioned in any manual or tech sheets that I've seen. I appreciate your input. Let's keep'em mowing!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thank you Sessman. I've seen estimates from 10 to 40 psi. Nothing specific is motioned in any manual or tech sheets that I've seen. I appreciate your input. Let's keep'em mowing!
I saw an autonomous battery zero turn at the Equipment Expo two weeks ago. $75,000. I wonder what the break even point is for additional cost, maintenance, etc.

At any rate, OEM parts are often cost prohibitive vs a good aftermarket part. You would’ve cost would at least be somewhat competitive. 4 to 5 times the cost , in some cases, is not even close.

grpascott

Threads
Battery power is great for hand power tools, but for cars and heavy equipment not so. The practicality is years away. When a great engineering company like Toyota declines to make electric vehicles you know there's a problem. Fossil fuel all the way for me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I saw an autonomous battery zero turn at the Equipment Expo two weeks ago. $75,000. I wonder what the break even point is for additional cost, maintenance, etc.

At any rate, OEM parts are often cost prohibitive vs a good aftermarket part. You would’ve cost would at least be somewhat competitive. 4 to 5 times the cost , in some cases, is not even close.
Not always when reliability in figured in.

I do use a lot of OEM and aftermarket parts. Just depends what I they are being used for. Plus a lot of the time I buy OEM from the manufacture of the install equipment of a particular machine. Example is a recent thread here the DC equipment wanted about 4-5 the price of the Hydro Gear distributor price. Same exact part just cutting out the middle men. And on parts the OEM are actually a new lower cost through the distributor.

Or like the aftermarket ignition coils I brought for Kawasaki v-twin with a year I had to change them out twice and now the engine is back with another failed coil so Kawasaki coils are going back on it.

Then there was the case of the Oregon ignition switch I install on JD Z830A that rusted up because the mower was left out in the rain. I end replacing it with an new Indak switch and the customer has had a single problem with the ignition since.

grpascott

Threads
Using after market non OEM (Chinese) parts is a crapshoot. If the fail requires a complete teardown again or possible catastrophic damage I'll use OEM. External parts I'll give it a shot for economics. (I have more time than money)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Using after market non OEM (Chinese) parts is a crapshoot. If the fail requires a complete teardown again or possible catastrophic damage I'll use OEM. External parts I'll give it a shot for economics. (I have more time than money)
Even some what some call external parts are a royal pain to change out. Take Z830A for an example there a lot things that has to come off to get the engine shroud off to change the coils. Nearly a two hour job with hand tools. And try changing the remote starter solenoid on a Gravely 992044 where in order to get to the starter solenoid you have to unbolt the engine. Again lots of labor to change it out and if fails again due to a crappy aftermarket all that time is wasted..

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi folks,
I have a 2010 Kohler Courage twin SV840-0012 on my BadBoy Z turn. I decide to put an oil pressure gauge on it. I reads 30 psi at startup. After warmup it drops to 20 psi at idle, and 22 psi at 3000 rpm. Is this too low or is it pretty normal? Any help appreciated.
That is plenty of oil pressure. Oil pressure is needed to overcome inertia forces of a spinning crankshaft. High revving long throw engines need higher oil pressures so the short throw low revving mower engines only need a few pounds of oil pressure.

grpascott

Threads
Even some what some call external parts are a royal pain to change out. Take Z830A for an example there a lot things that has to come off to get the engine shroud off to change the coils. Nearly a two hour job with hand tools. And try changing the remote starter solenoid on a Gravely 992044 where in order to get to the starter solenoid you have to unbolt the engine. Again lots of labor to change it out and if fails again due to a crappy aftermarket all that time is wasted..
Point well taken.

grpascott

Threads
That is plenty of oil pressure. Oil pressure is needed to overcome inertia forces of a spinning crankshaft. High revving long throw engines need higher oil pressures so the short throw low revving mower engines only need a few pounds of oil pressure.
That makes sense,
That makes sense! Thanks for the help.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Toyota has been making a hybrid (gas and battery) car for years, the Prius.

I have had three bad aftermarket parts right out of the box this year, it happens. It also depends upon how long it takes to get to part, etc. to replace to use OEM vs aftermarket.