KOHLER #SV735-0017 - WON'T CRANK

chubmanjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was mowing on a hot day & the mower just died, as if it ran out of gas. Tank was half full. Tried cranking & just smoke puffs from the muffler. Let it cool & tried again - would not start. Changed fuel pump, thinking "easy fix". Still nothing & when I crank it, gas sprays & drips heavily from the muffler. Mower has 340 hours. I've been disappointed in this mower - Craftsman YTS 4500...have had to replace the transmission & ignition modules. What am I looking at now? Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
sounds like a blown head gasket and a leaking float valve in the carb which could have caused the gasket going.

chubmanjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, would it change your diagnosis if I corrected my terminology? The mower will crank but not start...does not even seem to fire...and there's the gas spray & drip from the muffler...
If you still think it's the head gasket, could you pls explain how the leaky float caused this? I'm a novice, but enjoy learning. Is replacing a head gasket something I can tackle? I've got the tools & the "want to". :thumbsup: Is there a video that would walk me thru it? Thank you!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
float valve does not cut off the fuel supply and the bowl overflows.
Because of changes to EPA regulations the overflow is inside the carb throat so liquid fuel flows down the carb and into the engine.
Liquids do not compress so when you started the engine the uncompressable liquid finds the easiest way out, usually through the gasket.
This was most likely done a while ago and the hole is just getting bigger till it gets so big the engine will not run.
For liquid fuel to be blown out of the muffler, liquid fuel has to be getting into the cylinder and that can only happen if the float valve is not shutting off the fuel.

Generally the fuel will also leak past the rings & dilute the oil in the sump causing the oil level to rise.

And it is not really a diagnosis, for that we need you to do a lot of tests.
On the web it can be no more than a best guess because all we have to work with are words on a screen.

Check your oil level, is it higher than it should be & smell like fuel ?
Did the mower crank for 1/2 turn then struggle to complete cranking ( trying to compress liquid fuel )
Then spin a bit quicker than normal ( compression lowered cause gasket is blown )
Does it start in 2 or 3 revolutions or did you need to crank it several times for long while before it starts
Is the inside of the air filter housing oily.

Your engine manual will be found here http://www.mymowerparts.com/about_us.php