Kohler SV715 won't start with kill wires connected

jkasza1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all! First time posting.
I have a Cub Cadet with a Kohler courage 22Hp Model PS-SV715-3027 V-Twin The 2 coils that were on it had that smell of burning electrical so I purchased 2 new coils and installed them. The problem is If I unplug the kill wire from both coils it will run like a new engine. If i plug in the kill wire to both coils it won't start. I went ahead and made another kill wire so it wasn't connected to the system just so I could shut it down after i get it started but even with the kill wire connected to both coils and the end not grounded it still wouldn't crank. even though the coils were kill wire connected and nothing else it still wouldn't crank but then I pull it off and it cranks right up. I made a separate kill wire for each coil only connected to the coils not anything else and it cranked right up if I touch them together it backfires and acts up but I can ground them separately to kill the engine. Why is it I can't connect the coils to the original kill wire and crank or shut down the engine. Can someone tell me if this may have had CDI before it came to me or why its burning coils? Just so you know the original coils did the same thing wouldn't crank with the kill wire on. Thanks for any kind of help! This has been a nightmare!!! Just so you know I had tested and replaced all the switches and key switch but no change. I had all that in stock and used it as a test but no change and checked them all with my multi-meter as well. Thanks jkasza1 The serial number is SN- 4229304833 I forgot to give you this Thanks

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Makes me wonder if the wring harness has been damaged allowing 12 volts to short to the kill circuit. At least sounds like the kill circuit has shorted to ground someplace.

jkasza1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have taken every bit of covering off the wires tape, plastic conduit you name it. I exposed all wires. That why im wondering if it had a cdi before and was teplaced with crappy coils. I am stumped but my last choice would be to buy a switch i can connect 2 seperate kill wires that when activated it grounds both kill wires. Can you check to see if this had cdi before and was possibly changed?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The internal steering diodes in each coil is shorted I suspect. You could make up a Briggs style diode harness for v-twins and it probably will be a good work around to having to install two new coils. The diodes anodes need to attached to the coil's kill terminals and the cathodes tied together and grounded to kill the ignition. This would also block future 12v impulses from reaching the coils from the ignition switch.

jkasza1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you I will do that I can't believe I didn't think about that thank you!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And double check the kill wire terminal on your mower.
It should be open circuit ( to run ) or ground ( top stop )
If it is showing any voltage it can & will kill the Hall Effect trigger chip in your magneto coils.
So if you see Volts on that wire, some thing is wired wrong.

We don't know what Cub you are looking at.
If it is a tractor with a manual PTO then the PTO & Brake Switch is a double switch.
One side is the cranking circuit & passes through 12V to the starting solenoid & the other is ground and grounds out the coil.
I have seen mowers with the plug wired wrong .