Kohler PH-XT 149-0316 runs rough, no power under load

SMWoody

Threads
  • / Kohler PH-XT 149-0316 runs rough, no power under load
Greetings: I'm working on a Lawn Boy 10604 with a Kohler PH-XT 149 0316 - it starts good but doesn't idle smoothly, and loses power under load (while mowing) - I was going to try to clean the carb but was wondering if that's where I need to start to tackle this problem - any input is appreciated - thanks.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually running out of puff is because it is running out of fuel.
So start with the fuel flow to the carb, then the carb then the inlet valve.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kohler is having a problem with this engine and the one used on the Toro 20370. Both are experiencing the same problems. I just did a Lawn Boy last week and the only way I could get it to run fairly good was to replace the carb. Still didn't like it , but the customer needed the machine, so I told him to try and get back to me. Did your engine originally come with a foam filter, as there was a problem with the foam breaking down and being ingested into the cylinder?

SMWoody

Threads
Kohler is having a problem with this engine and the one used on the Toro 20370. Both are experiencing the same problems. I just did a Lawn Boy last week and the only way I could get it to run fairly good was to replace the carb. Still didn't like it , but the customer needed the machine, so I told him to try and get back to me. Did your engine originally come with a foam filter, as there was a problem with the foam breaking down and being ingested into the cylinder?

This came with a paper air filter - I bought a carb rebuild kit (Kohler # 14 757 03-S) and see that there is at least 1 small o-ring - but don't know where it goes - so I thought i'd look at an exploded view on the internet somewhere of this carb to see where it goes - but can't find an exploded view - anyway I will call my customer and let him know that I may need to get a new carb for this and see what he says - thanks so much for the info....

DJ660

Threads
Try cleaning the PILOT JET. Its the black piece UNDER the idle speed screw. remove idle screw, then pry up on black jet and clean out. Its a very small hole. These engine actually run really good when there not so freakin' lean in the pilot jet circuit (Hint,Hint) Now if You said needle and seat is leaking, Then I would say toss it in trash. But since yours isn't, clean the jet REALLY, REALLY good and it will run good.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
This came with a paper air filter - I bought a carb rebuild kit (Kohler # 14 757 03-S) and see that there is at least 1 small o-ring - but don't know where it goes - so I thought i'd look at an exploded view on the internet somewhere of this carb to see where it goes - but can't find an exploded view - anyway I will call my customer and let him know that I may need to get a new carb for this and see what he says - thanks so much for the info....

Could the small o-ring be underneath your float needle valve?

SMWoody

Threads
Could the small o-ring be underneath your float needle valve?

I don't know - I was unable to find an "exploded" view of that carb - when I have time, i'll call Kohler and see if I can download it - however, I put the carb back on, put fresh fuel in the mower and it started with the 1st pull - runs better and I've got a happy customer - thanks to all who replied and look forward to getting on this forum again......