Kohler Maintenance Pack

shurguywutt

Threads
Hello all, I have a KT725-3097 (with the shorter oil filter) and I was wondering what maintenance pack I should get. The prices vary pretty widely but how is the quality or does it even make a difference? It should have the fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, pre-filter, and 2 spark plugs.

I think these are the part numbers I have found through my research.
Kohler - 32 789 02-S
Stens - 785-598
Rotary - 15237

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Makes less than zero difference
What is important is that you have enough space to get the thing off on
FWIW I fit almost nothing other than the B & S long or B & S Short filters as I can buy them in trade packs really cheap
While there are some minor differences in the specifications , they are all within the commercial variance ( Filter paper is +/- 10% ) and bypass valve pressure is around the same tollerances .
In 11 years I am yet to find an oil filter so full it had gone to bypass
The Rotary filters I ge down here are made in Mexico , Stens filters are made in the USA by Champion no idea who makes the filters that Kohler use .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have seen some still with the original filter from when they were new 8 years ago.
How long a filter lasts is a moot point because there are so many variables it is not funny
For those who do their own & just buy parts from me the advice is to change it every 5 years , ie all years that end with 0 or 5
Like air filters oil filters work better the dirtier they get as the stuff on the outside becomes a sort of pre-filter to the point of course that the filter is choked .

shurguywutt

Threads
I ended up getting the Rotary maintenance kit. It came with BKR5E spark plugs. The Rotary labeled oil filter looks a little smaller than the Kohler OEM one. It came with 2 quarts of Synthetic blend 10w-30 (Champion) but I will probably horde that and use my Rotella straight 30. I am planning on doing the service at the end of this season (It's been hot so it may go a little longer).

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Makes less than zero difference
What is important is that you have enough space to get the thing off on
FWIW I fit almost nothing other than the B & S long or B & S Short filters as I can buy them in trade packs really cheap
While there are some minor differences in the specifications , they are all within the commercial variance ( Filter paper is +/- 10% ) and bypass valve pressure is around the same tollerances .
In 11 years I am yet to find an oil filter so full it had gone to bypass
The Rotary filters I ge down here are made in Mexico , Stens filters are made in the USA by Champion no idea who makes the filters that Kohler use .
The Kohler filters here are currently made by Champion Labs. Champion Labs is a First Brands company. First Brands also owns FRAM.

shurguywutt

Threads
To update, I did the maintenance yesterday, changed the oil with some Rotella T1, did filters, and installed the BKR5Es... The old RC12YCs had a bunch of carbon deposits on them (2 years, about 90 hrs on them). Also they were out of spec, supposed to be .030" and they were .035"... They also seemed like they weren't torqued down well. After I gapped and installed the NGKs correctly (they were at .035" as well), she fired right up and purred like a kitten. Let her run for about 15 minutes and washed the deck, there was no hesitation or sputtering. From what I can see, the BKR5Es work fine, I will see how they hold up.

Thank you all for the kind help over the years, I know its unspoken much of the time but it really helps us DIYers that are trying to save a buck and feed the kids. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and God bless you all. 🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄