Kohler Maintenance/Filters

shurguywutt

Threads
Good morning - quick question for the pros.

I am a residential user with a Toro Timecutter that has a Kohler KT725-3097.

I have had it for 2 seasons. At the end of last season I changed the oil with some I had in the garage. It only had about 45 hrs on it so I didn't bother changing the oil filter or any of the other parts.

I clean the air filter/pre filter every couple months.

This season I will have probably around 90 hrs. Would you change the oil filter with the next oil change or would you just wait until the next season to replace it (3 years)? Should I replace fuel filter, air filter/pre filter, and spark plugs? The oil has been clean when I check it before use.

Thanks for the advice!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I would change all filters every two years with the number of hours you put on each year. Change the plugs every other oil change. Read my signature.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Good morning - quick question for the pros.

I am a residential user with a Toro Timecutter that has a Kohler KT725-3097.

I have had it for 2 seasons. At the end of last season I changed the oil with some I had in the garage. It only had about 45 hrs on it so I didn't bother changing the oil filter or any of the other parts.

I clean the air filter/pre filter every couple months.

This season I will have probably around 90 hrs. Would you change the oil filter with the next oil change or would you just wait until the next season to replace it (3 years)? Should I replace fuel filter, air filter/pre filter, and spark plugs? The oil has been clean when I check it before use.

Thanks for the advice!
This may help.
1688909223545.png
Kohler calls for changing the oil and oil filter every 300 hours according to the above info I snipped from their KT owner's manual. That's a fairly recent change. They used to state, change the oil every 100 hours and the oil filter every 200 hours. No matter how often you change the oil it's good practice to check the oil before each use. For filters used for fluids such as oils and fuels, I normally go by the recommended hours. They're sort of hard to look at and know they need changing.

For air filters, I'll share what an HVAC instructor I had 30+ years ago asked us in one of our first classes, He asked, "How often should you change the filter on your AC & Heating system? He got various answers from us ranging from every month to every other month, to four times a year and some said twice a year. He looked at us and simply said, you change it when it needs it. I had to laugh when he said that as it was sort of a duh moment for me. I use still use that philosophy today but pretty much only for air filters, pre-filters and HVAC filters in both my equipment and vehicles. Most pre-filters can be washed out and re-oiled (lightly re-oiled) but I don't know a good way to clean air filters so I replace those when needed. I don't use compressed air on my air filters.

Take all of this for what it's worth as it is just one man's opinion. For homeowners and shade trees it may not matter much but when you're in a job where anything you say can and will be used against you if you ever end up in court, (fortunately I never did), you learn to choose your words carefully.