Kohler engine

cb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, for allowing me to jump on board. My problem is with the engine revving up and down on it's own. I bought a carb kit, gaskets and o-rings and it did not improve it. It will start and run it just revs up and down even at full throttle. But when I kick in the blades it runs smooth. It a Kohler SV735-3022 (26hp)
Thanks for any help.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the governor settings,
Governor Sensitivity Adjustment,
Governor sensitivity is adjusted by repositioning the governor spring in the holes in the governor lever. If speed surging occurs with a change in load, the governor is set too sensitive. If a big drop in speed occurs when a normal load is applied, the governor should be set for greater sensitivity.

cb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this the adjustment you are talking about?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 15

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, but if you are not sure what you are doing, ask someone to look at it for you. NOTE: Do not tamper with governor setting.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The fact that the engine smooths out when you engage the blades, almost certainly proves that you have a carb problem. When an engine is running even at full throttle without a load, you are running on the idle circuit of the carb. But when you engage the blades, or put a load on the engine, it starts pulling fuel from the main circuit. You have a partially clogged idle circuit in the carb.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought he would have done all the cleaning of the carb, having got a carb kit, has you say, may well be carb problem.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem is that most people dont know how to clean the idle circuit properly.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unfortunately that is true....:confused2:

cb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unfortunately that is true....:confused2:

I followed the directions that came with the kohler carb kit. I removed both idle and main jet and cleaned with gum out. The carb was completely apart. But I could have missed something.
Thanks for the info. I guess I will disassemble and clean again

redmondjp

Threads
Check every passage - some of the holes in the carb are tiny and easily missed. I have found that the tiny metal wire inside plastic bag ties is small enough to pass through these holes to ensure that they are clear. Compressed air and carb spray also help.