Kohler engine no spark till coasting.

Campinman

Threads
I hope it’s not the wire harness. That happened to me. It’s a pain to find and replace the bad one. Mine was one for the stator.

raymond10078

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at the service manual, one of the schematics (Fig 8-20) shows that the behavior you describe is normal.

If that figure applies to your machine, then you’re already done.

snowsnake

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had this exact problem when I had replaced my ignition switch. Not realizing there was a difference I picked up a generic replacement switch that didn't supply power to the coil when cranking. It worked fine for years and even though it cranked longer it always fired up when I released the key. I never realized it was wrong till I had a problem with the replacement one.
As was mentioned earlier, run a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the + side of the coil and see if it starts.
Even if the existing switch is correct it can short out and not supply power as it should. I have worn out several thru the years and id bet the previous owners of yours had to replace it.

Jim Pritchrd

Threads
Not trying to simplify things but this actually sounds like a fuel problem.
Drain the tank, drain the carb, put in new fuel adding some Sea Foam, about an ounce to the tank. Rock tractor to mix, wait ten minutes and start the engine.
Has worked for me!

ccheatha

Threads
Not trying to simplify things but this actually sounds like a fuel problem.
Drain the tank, drain the carb, put in new fuel adding some Sea Foam, about an ounce to the tank. Rock tractor to mix, wait ten minutes and start the engine.
Has worked for me!
That’s what I thought at first too, but he said he shot it with a little starter fluid and he got nothing. Normally, if it’s a fuel problem, it’ll at least fire and then die. But you never know.

mcostello

Threads
No other symptoms, making unobtainable and repair parts in My machine shop makes Me VERY aware things wear out. I will try the hot wire to the positive side of the coil in an hour or two tonight.

mcostello

Threads
If it is not getting a spark when cranking then all the fuel in the world will not fire (unless it's a diesel.) It will start when coasting. No spark until I let off the key and the motor coasts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you post the model and serial numbers for the unit. I would like to see what the original key switch was used.