Kohler engine CV15T rectifier

geelee

Threads
if you add a battery then you need to replace the rectifier with a rectifier regulator. stator is the same

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Posting the engine spec would resolve the question of what was used on the engine but as I said the two engines list by spec number for the JD G15 both had 15/20 amp stators and half wave rectifier / voltage regulators.

Yes I actually look up both engines on Kohler Plus and wasn't just guessing at the info. I hate it when someone just posts something without even taking the time to actually look up things. That is like me telling the Amaco transmission shop that I need the fluid and filter changed in 700R4 in my '79 Malibu. Instead looking they just wanted to argue with me. I won a $20 bet plus a free fluid and filter change for it as I was the one that put the 700R4 in it. Boy that was a nice steak dinner.

geelee

Threads
if it has no battery is a rectfier only. a regulator needs at least 4volts at b+ to work. i know that the rectifier only system is not even mentioned in the service manual but its in use on several manufacturers

avtuvy

Threads
Below is a response that I received from Kohler regarding the same question, they also refer to a Joh Deere spec# 27509, where can I find this spec and a wiring diagram?

"So I’ll bet this is a Wide Area Walk Behind (WAWB) mower which has a recoil starter and an electric PTO clutch. In this application, we only use a rectifier, as opposed to a Regulator/rectifier. This uses an Unregulated charging system. It is normal to have a seemingly high amount of voltage in such cases. This is because there isn’t a battery to use as any kind of “power reserve”, so to speak."

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then I wonder why they have a 25 403 37-s listed as the correct unit on their parts lookup on Kohler Plus. And then what is the correct Kohler PN?
1624452718923.png
1624452481776.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And before someone says the voltage regulator will not work without a battery I just tested one here and the output voltage only when up to 19 vdc (not zero output as Kawasaki Regulator do) without the battery or anything else attached to the regulator except for DVMM. This was on a CV20-65577 which uses the same regulator as above.

avtuvy

Threads
And before someone says the voltage regulator will not work without a battery I just tested one here and the output voltage only when up to 19 vdc (not zero output as Kawasaki Regulator do) without the battery or anything else attached to the regulator except for DVMM. This was on a CV20-65577 which uses the same regulator as above.
Is 19 vdc normal, is it safe to connect to a battery for charging and also operate the PTO at the same time?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is 19 vdc normal, is it safe to connect to a battery for charging and also operate the PTO at the same time?
Once I reconnected the battery to the circuit the regulator when back to 14.7 vdc which is within spec for battery charging. And yes both can be connected as this is a 15 amp setup. Your PTO should not draw more 7.5 amps max with normal range around 3-4 amps.

Last edited:

avtuvy

Threads
Once I reconnected the battery to the circuit the regulator when back to 14.7 vdc which is within spec for battery charging. And yes both can be connected as this is a 15 amp setup. Your PTO should no more 7.5 amps max with normal range around 3-4 amps.
Thank you

geelee

Threads
so starr it seems kohler backed me up. ive only been doing this 48 years, wtf do i know . also you may want to read sb-174. you will read voltage but it wont power anything. and as i kept saying if it has no battery but never got an answer back

Last edited: