Kohler courage 540S will turn but not run, shows compression at 65 psi, changed carburetor with new fuel solenoid,spark plug, changed oil,head gasket

danubo49

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler courage 540S will turn but not run, shows compression at 65 psi, changed carburetor with new fuel solenoid,spark plug, changed oil,head gasket
Kohler SV540S will turn but not run,changed everything new, head gasket, lapped the valves and gapped, carburetor,air filter,fuel filter,still not run. Shows 65 psi compression. Could it be timing problem.Have not opened engine itself. What else should I check.It was warm then suddenly stops at the middle of mowing. Will appreciate any help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Kohler courage 540S will turn but not run, shows compression at 65 psi, changed carburetor with new fuel solenoid,spark plug, changed oil,head gasket
Does it have spark.

danubo49

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have not checked it yet,but I will today as well as the coil. I should have checked it before ,but I did changed it to a new one gapped at .03 inch,do I have to worry about the compression at 65 psi.thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
.003” air gap is TOO small. Should be .010”. This could easily be the cause of nonstarting. 65 psi could be the result of ACR working properly.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
.003” air gap is TOO small. Should be .010”. This could easily be the cause of nonstarting. 65 psi could be the result of ACR working properly.
Looks like he said 30 thousands not 3 thousands, but as you stated 10 thousandths would be the correct air gap.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blame my mistake on resting today not working. Sorry!!

danubo49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Spark plug air gap was set to .03 inch. I will reset it then to .010 inch, sorry for the confusion. Will work on the spark plug and coil today,and will come back after. So no need to worry about compression value. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO. First you said you set the magneto air gap at .030”, now you say you set the spark plug gap at.030”. The magneto air gap should be .010” and the plug gap should be .030”.

danubo49

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok,so spark plug gap should be .03 hundredths of an inch, and the ignition coil gap(magneto) should be .010 thousandths of an inch, to clear the confusion or .01 hundreths of an inch. Clear to me,got it.

danubo49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checked ignition coil, both the primary and secondary pole does not show any resistance at all with multimeter, so I presumed no spark at all to burn the mixture. Waiting for the parts and see if it runs. Thank you all for the helpful comments.