Kohler Courage 20 / SV600 Walbro 3 carburetor leaking from float valve

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Kohler Courage 20 / SV600 Walbro 3 carburetor leaking from float valve
Carb is still dirty. Need to:

1.KEEP and remove OEM carb from engine. Break it down removing all small parts. Boil clean the carb on your stove top with water and those automatic dishwasher balls. Use a candy thermometer to keep water/soap temp at 200F. Boil for 30 minutes. Rinse well in clean water to neutralize after. Blow out with compressed air. Reassemble carb. Flip carb over and blow test carb needle/seat (fuel inlet pipe). Should hold 7psi for 30 minutes.
2.Remove fuel tank. Clean out 100% with compressed air. Install new fuel line, filter and shut off valve if you have room.
3.Clean block and cooling fins YEARLY per your engine manual. Remove top metal engine shroud exposing cooling fins. Neglect this and you will get engine damage.
4.Adjust valves per your engine manual yearly.
5.Decarbon cylinder and valves every 5 years or suggested interval in your engine manual. Neglect this and you will get engine damage.

I see a small mud slide on top on your block. And some oil/grit forming by the plug area. Need to clean all that off.

Hope you are not running it long with the shroud off. These are air cooled.

Mower engines like this heat up to max temp in like 1-3 minutes. As in very fast.

Do you feel that detent about 3/4 of full throttle? IN that detent, that is your max rev throttle cable setting with NO choke. Your carb linkage is all fouled up.

shrout1

Threads
  • / Kohler Courage 20 / SV600 Walbro 3 carburetor leaking from float valve
Carb is still dirty. Need to:

1.KEEP and remove OEM carb from engine. Break it down removing all small parts. Boil clean the carb on your stove top with water and those automatic dishwasher balls. Use a candy thermometer to keep water/soap temp at 200F. Boil for 30 minutes. Rinse well in clean water to neutralize after. Blow out with compressed air. Reassemble carb. Flip carb over and blow test carb needle/seat (fuel inlet pipe). Should hold 7psi for 30 minutes.
2.Remove fuel tank. Clean out 100% with compressed air. Install new fuel line, filter and shut off valve if you have room.
3.Clean block and cooling fins YEARLY per your engine manual. Remove top metal engine shroud exposing cooling fins. Neglect this and you will get engine damage.
4.Adjust valves per your engine manual yearly.
5.Decarbon cylinder and valves every 5 years or suggested interval in your engine manual. Neglect this and you will get engine damage.

I see a small mud slide on top on your block. And some oil/grit forming by the plug area. Need to clean all that off.

Hope you are not running it long with the shroud off. These are air cooled.

Mower engines like this heat up to max temp in like 1-3 minutes. As in very fast.

Do you feel that detent about 3/4 of full throttle? IN that detent, that is your max rev throttle cable setting with NO choke. Your carb linkage is all fouled up.
Hey thanks!

I chem dipped the carb and it started running much more smoothly. The fuel tank was clean and the fuel lines are holding up just fine. I *could* stand to clean the outside of the engine a bit more, but it is running all right. I only had the shroud off to test the carb/governor, and never ran it for very long. The carb linkage seems to work as intended; like you said, once I hit that detent then the choke plate starts to move. Before that it is controlling the main throttle plate via the governor when the engine is running. Everything seems to be working decently well.