Kohler cone clutch re-build

topconker

Threads
Hi Rivets, I've seen think but it doesn't work

topconker

Threads
OK, so info for anyone that may need it. I've managed to speak to a supplier here in the UK that has advised me that the inner cone is in fact at the end of it's life. I need a new inner cone or, I can rig up the cone in a lathe and machine of 4-5mm off the back edge to give the clearance need to operate the clutch properly. This is obviously a last resort but I'm willing to chance it.
Now how to work out how to mount the cone into the lathe!!!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not that it will be of any use to you but we have a couple of back yarders who reline Howard clutches down here in OZ .
Took a long while to find one and he does them when he feels like it but at least the customer got his father tiller back in a working condition.
HE uses it a lot .
Great machines
I would imagine in the land renown for special interest clubs there would not be a Howard owners club somewhere ,'
Otherwise chase up the old engine / farm equipment collectors groups.
Some one in the UK will be refurbishing them .
The peopel who hosted the file ( allotment gardening ) would be a good place to start asking.

Last edited:

topconker

Threads
Managed to chuck the cone, just, took a flyer on the job which went well. clutch now all back together and working well. I removed 2.5mm from the edge, removed and re-sized the liner and re-fitted it and re-assembled the whole thing. All working great now. A word of caution, chucking the cone on the bearing case really was a 50/50 job and I stood well back whilst maching it!