kohler command 23 will not start

Jake92

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey all,
I have a kohler command 23 in an agco 1823 rider that has me quite puzzled. So here's where I'm at so far, mower sat for a couple years obviously wouldn't run off the bad. What I have replaced so far are ignition coils, spark plugs, fuel pump, carburetor and some random mice chewed wires here and there. Compression tester shows 180 give or take a few on each cylinder. With a spark tester I have good spark and am getting good fuel into cylinders. All that said when trying to start, it will hit like it wants to start but never actually will take off so I'm at a bit of a loss any help would be appreciated. Also using starting spray produces the same results. Chugs and chugs like it is going to start but but never actually starts.

Jake92

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will add that new coils are cheapo Chinese coils but they test good so I assume they will work for now as I am getting spark. Have not yet removed flywheel to see if key is sheared.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your valve clearance, may not be fully opening the valves.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will add that new coils are cheapo Chinese coils but they test good so I assume they will work for now as I am getting spark. Have not yet removed flywheel to see if key is sheared.
Spark with the plug grounded against the engine block or spark confirmed with a good spark tester. Just because you have spark while grounding the plug against the engine doesn't mean it will spark at 180 psi compression.

Jake92

Forum Newbie
Threads
Spark with the plug grounded against the engine block or spark confirmed with a good spark tester. Just because you have spark while grounding the plug against the engine doesn't mean it will spark at 180 psi compression.

I have spark both ways but yes I understand I might not have spark under compression. Since the engine will fire intermittently but not run i have to imagine i am getting spark under compression

Jake92

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: removed flywheel key is intact installed new key and reinstalled flywheel. Removed valve covers valves are non adjustable but visual inspection everything looks good and operating as it should. Still same no start issue hits several times but never actually starts and runs. I'm stumped